Home Buying in New City>Question Details

Vadavam, Home Buyer in 10956

Is it wise decision to buy a house with french drains in new city area?

Asked by Vadavam, 10956 Thu Dec 8, 2011

Answers

9
Annette Levinson’s answer
Where in New City are you buying. Part of New City gets flooded after a heavy rain storm, others not. If you are not buying in an area that gets flooded the french drains are a precaution. If you are buying in an area that oftens floods you are going to have problems.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hi Vadavam,

Did you buy the house in New City with french drains? If so, I hope you are enjoying living in New City which is a great area of Rockland County. I know my response is late, but I just became an active Trulia agent and thought I'd reach out to you.

I agree with Raj that if a home has french drains and a sump pump, the water problem is likely to have been taken care of, which can be verified by a home inspector.

I hope you will contact me if you have any further real estate needs. Please call me at 914-588-2365.

Take care,
Ellen
Ellen Kippel
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson NY and NJ
Weichert Realtors
Mutli-Million Dollar Producer
Email: eskippel@aol.com
Website : http://www.dreamhomesrocklandandorangeny.com
Website: http://www.ellensellsrealestate.com
I had water problems in the basement in my last house in new City. I solved the problem with french drains. You must make sure the electric supply to the motor is correctly installed so there is minimal chance of someone accidentally disconnecting it without your knowledge. If you like the house and it has french drains, it means they have fixed the problem. A house inspector can confirm that during the inspection.
french drains are fine. basement should also have a motorized pump
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hello Vadavam, it is generally good to buy a home with French Drains. It means that if the house did get water, this was a solution to the problem. your home inspector will tell you if it safe
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hi Vadavam, I have moved three times. Two of houses I moved to had a basement water problem. I installed french drains and each time it solved the problem. Houses can have a water problem depending on the location. If I see a sump pump or french drains in a house, it means there is a problem which has been fixed. In order to determine how well it has been fixed, you should rely on your inspector who may call in an expert if required. If you like the house and it has good french drains, I would not let that detract from your decision to buy the house. Please contact me at bajajhomes@gmail.com if you have any further questions. Happy holidays....Raj
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hello Vadavam, it is generally good to buy a home with French Drains. It means that if the house did get water, this was a solution to the problem. Houses that are newly built will have proper drainage by code. Any help needed feel free to email me at allan.erps@randrealty.com. Best of Luck, Allan
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Vadavam, Each house is different and water issues are very complicated. A French Drain is usually a good thing and will address a water issue where the water is seeping through the bottom where the walls and floor meet. This could be caused by many things...such as clogged gutters or inadequate downspout leads that direct water away for the house, inadequate grading causing water to flow toward the house, etc. Usually these drains will improve or irraticate the problem but in certain instances, only improve the problem. I've also seen homes with these drains that don't need them. Therefore, I would suggest a Professional's opinion who can evaluate the entire situation. I can supply you with the names and contact info of the best Home Inspectors in the area. realtorjohnm@gmail.com Best, John
Was the drain professionally inspected and if so, what did the inspector suggest; the decision to buy, the property, or not, is one only you can make...