Greg, Home Buyer in Onalaska, WI

Is it true a potential buyer is invited to only 'part' of the home inspection rather than the?

Asked by Greg, Onalaska, WI Wed Aug 12, 2009

'whole' inspec.? I was told by a real estate agent that 'they' (assuming the inspector) doesn't really want a potential home buyer to be at the full home inspection. Why would this be the case? If I want to buy a home, I want to know and be able to discuss, with the inspector, what he or she finds as she finds it. This information came from the buying agent.

Answers

11
Jennifer Ames’ answer
Perhaps the agent is confused! Typically the SELLER is not present during the home inspection. The buyer is the customer, i.e. the person hiring and paying for the home inspection. So you are absolutely entitled (and even encourged) to attend.

Having said that, all inspectors work differently. Some want to do their thing and go through the property, showing the buyer the highlights of their findings at the end. Others want the buyer at their side so they can explain what they see as they go.

Best of luck,

Jenny
Web Reference: http://www.jenniferames.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 12, 2009
Buyers should always be at the home inspection. Sellers are usually the ones not there.

A good home inspector will not only show you what needs to be fixed on your potential new home but will show you how to maintain the value and quality of your property with maintenance and basic skill and care while informing you of all the important details you should know.
My Buyers are always at the full home inspection. Buyers will then have the opportunity to ask questions or address concerns with the inspector. I always suggest the buyer bring a note pad with and write down any information that they think they will need to reference back. An inspection is lengthy and buyer may feel overwhelmed with all the information the inspector is giving.
The buyer should be there for the entire inspection. Perhaps they may show up late or don't want to follow the inspector foot to foot around the house but since they're paying for it they usually want to get the whole show.
Hello Greg,

If my clients want to be there for the entire inspection they are welcome to attend. I do tell them though to be prepared for a potential long stay as an honest Inspector does not know how long they will take to inspect until they arrive and perform the inspection. I provide my clients the option of me calling them an hour out from expected completion if they prefer to give them time to make it there for the end of the inspection. At that point we will go through the entire inspection route, sans dangerous areas, and take all of the time they need to ask questions, discuss issues, etc.

I have to disagree with some of the comments below about following the Inspector everywhere on the inspection. I will most certainly NOT allow a buyer client on the roof, crawling through the attic or under crawlspaces for obvious safety reasons, YOURS!! If there is a safe platform for you to stand on in these areas that is a different situation. As Inspectors we assume these risks as part of the job but there is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to place a client under these risks!! A good Inspector will be taking plenty of pictures for you to view of issues in these areas so there is no reason for you to go there. Here are some very good reasons why you, as a buyer, should not be in those areas. These are only examples of many of the dangers in these areas.

Attics:

It is very easy for you to miss a ceiling joist and wind up in the house below. Take a look in the attic and look at the decking used for the roof cover. Check out those nasty and sometimes rusted nails sticking through the decking. How would you like to stick one of those in your skull??

Roofs

Roofs take a great deal of care and caution to walk, even if they are a low slope! Not only can you damage the roofing material but you can slip very easily if not wearing the proper shoes. You can break your neck falling off of a short step stool, now consider falling off of even a single story roof.

Crawlspaces

Quite possibly the most dangerous place to be!! There is always some type of debris in these areas from old pieces of wood with nails to the very nasty surprises we find. I was checking one while running water in the plumbing fixtures above. The crawl was slightly damp to begin with until I reached a leaking drain pipe with a pool of spreading water. The water was inches from a poorly spliced 240V line laying on the ground. I backed out of there faster than a snake chasing a frog!! Can you move that fast??

I've had homeowners crawl crawlspaces, attics, walk roofs with me but it is their home, their choice and they will need to deal with any consequences if something happens. Are you ready to explain to your employer (or clients if self employed) why you are injured to the point you can not work? Check out your health insurance, short and long term disability policies and I'll bet you'll not be covered for taking that kind of risk! Once they find out it occurred in another person's home the insurer will most likely tell you to go after them.

ANYONE THAT TELLS YOU TO WALK A ROOF, CRAWL A CRAWL OR ATTIC WITH THEM IS CERTAINLY NOT LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR SAFETY AND WELL BEING!!!!!!! I certainly can not even believe that anyone would even suggest you do these things!!

Emmanuel J. Scanlan
PS Inspection & Property Services LLC
http://www.psinspection.com
214-418-4366 (cell)
TREC License # 7593
International Code Council, Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Certified Infrared Thermographer (ASNT-TC1A Standards)
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Third Party Warranty Inspector #1593
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Inspector, County Inspection Program
Texas Department Of Insurance, VIP Inspector # 08507061016
Hayman Residential Engineering Services, Field Technician
CMC Energy - Certified Energy Auditor

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!!
Web Reference: http://www.psinspection.com
Both you as the buyer and your agent should attend the inspection...you are paying for it and have every right to be there to ask questions and understand his report.
Greg,

You the buyer are paying for this home inspection. I tell my clients if at all possible to be there for the inspection. Find another inspector that does want you there for the inspection.

Don McBride
We instruct our buyers if interested show up approx. 30 minutes prior inspection completion. Inspectors are there to do a job with home owner on their backside entire time talking and etc. it distracts inspectors delays their professional day.

After inspection inspector will review any concerns with home buyer happy to do so.

I had an inspector want to personally torture my buyer he would not leave inspector alone.... older historic property required much attention toooo detail.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Greg,

The reality of this is that YOU are hiring the inspector to work for you. Prior to commiting to the individual, inquire about this. If they are unwilling to allow you to be present for the full inspection, our recommendation is to move on and try another.

It's a good idea anyway to speak with the inspector about the scope of their inspection and ask them questions before coming to an agreement.

You absolutely should be and have the right to be at the complete inspection. If you want to crawl in the attic then go ahead. You want to know everything about the house you are buying. Too bad if the inspector doesn't really want a home buyer there.
Uh-uh.

A Home Buyer should be present during the Entire Inspection.

Granted, you (the Buyer) do not want to breath down the Inspector's neck, or otherwise harass them, but you should be on site throughout the Inspection.

If the Inspector or the Agent does not want you around, Red Flags are Flying. Find someone else.

Best wishes,
Fred