Home Buying in Valley Center>Question Details

Beth, Home Buyer in Escondido, CA

Is it time for me to find a new realtor? Is it more productive to go with the listing agent?

Asked by Beth, Escondido, CA Thu Jul 23, 2009

I have been working with the same realtor for almost a year now and still no house. I totally trust in this person, however I want to find a house and feel that maybe this person is not agrresive enough. Will I have better luck if I contact the listing agent of the house that I am interested in?

Hi Beth,

I live and work in Valley Center. The information that has been provided below gives great advice on dealing with a Realtor in general. It sounds like you have a great rapport with them so where have you gone wrong in buying a house? What does your Realtor say? Valley Center doesn't have a lot of good inventory right now. This market brings out the funky custom homes that got way overpriced and are now in need of lots of work, if not a bulldozer. So, the good homes go fast and usually for more than the asking price if they are priced low to begin with. If they've been on the market awhile, feel free to negotiate your best price. Are you making good strong offers? Or, have you not found the house that's just right for you? You're much better off with your own buyer's representative, so please don't give up on that. Good luck to you! I hope you become a resident of Valley Center. You'll love it here!

Diane Conaway, RE/MAX United, (760) 749-2888
Accredited Buyers Representative, Broker Associate
I don't advise using the listing agent , they only represent only the owner of the property. You need someone who represents you.
If you are having troubly having an offer accepted it is probably not your hard working agent..it's the market we are in.
The tax credit, lower home prices and interest rates have produced a buying frenzy in the good areas of Southern California. Many homes are getting 20-30 offers and some of the offers are all cash! It makes it very difficult for those buyers who cannot compete. Have you considered looking at regular sale homes, rather then Short Sale and Foreclosures? That might be the way to go.
Hi Beth,

Much has already been said that needs to be said. However, the best way to find a great agent is to ask friends and coworkers for a referral. We recommend you interview at least 3 agents.

If you are thinking of finding one here, please read the following blog:

Mark and Kari Shea
San Diego Real Estate Experts
Foreclosure, Short Sale & Investment Specialists,
Development Opportunities & Traditional Real Estate
Talk with the agent. They may be as frustrated as you are, and maybe there are some changes that can take place. Listing agents really are not the answer. Things are taking a long time right now, and several offers...particularly under the $400,000 mark.
Best of Luck,
Joan Wilson

The listing agent is representing the interests of the seller. In most cases it would not be in your best interest.

As Bill suggested, speak to your current REALTOR about your thoughts and expectations. Perhaps you can alter your strategies or your search perameters.

Kind Regards,

Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Simply The Best Real Estate Company, Inc.
Rancho Bernardo
Hi Beth, I'm not sure at what price point you are looking; however, I have first hand knowledge that the lower end of the market is on "fire" due to investors. My brother-in-law finally had to buy into TICs to avoid taxes on his 1031 exchange.

I agree with Bill. Your first step should be communicating with your agent.

I'm not so sure working with the listing agent is a solution. Is your desire to find a home greater than your desire to be professionally advised? Dual agency is not illegal; however, you do give up one important benefit by entering into such an agreement: advice. Read about this in more depth here:

Best, Steve
Can you be more specific? How are they not helping you? They can show you lots of homes but are you losing out on bids? Or are they sending you the wrong style of homes you want?
Many feel much mor comfortable working with their own agent as opposed to one that is representing both the seller and you.

If you really trust your present agent....perhaps it is time for a down to earth conversation about your needs, his/her service, and your motivation to buy now. Ask them to honestly, tell you why you have been unable to find a home after nearly a year of looking.

Do you need to adjust your expectations, change your focus, or throw more money in the pot? A concersation that is open and honest can only help your situation..try this before anything else....

The Eckler Team