Definitely a good idea to have a major alarm system/company. Also, indoor and outdoor lights on timers help, and you can also get an outlet timer, where you can connect a basic radio to, so there is actually sound in the home at certain times...
Hope this helps :)
I would suggest having a trusted person check your property once per week. One of your main concerns is the DWV (Drain/Waste/Vent) system. Plumbing drain and waste lines should never be allowed to dry out because this can lead to compromised seals at the couplings which may result in leaks. This goes for P-Traps below sinks as well. All water fixtures should be operated and the water seal in the traps maintained. Also to prevent sewer gases from entering back into the dwelling. If you leave during summer months, set your A/C to 80 or 85, during the winter set thermostats to 55. You don't want the house to overheat or freeze. These are the quick and simple answers. You are welcome to call or email me with further questions.
Realty One Group
Leaving a house vacant for a long period of time, you want to take some steps to secure your property.
1. Have a friend, family member or neighbor pick up the mail every other day
2. Make sure to secure your property with alarm. have sensor lights around the exterior
3. Leave light on
4. Do NOT notify service people, social media and etc like facebook that you are travelling.
5. Ask a close friend or relative if they can stay at your property. You might want to consider
Letting someone live at your house or rent your house for short term.
6. One of my clients purchase online dame cameras with yellow signs " Smile..youâ€™re on camera"
After his vacant house was broken into twice. Once the camera were installed, there were no
More breakings. Only $ 25
7. Use â€œbabysitting house services" for a fee
Anything can happen in any area anywhere. I hope this helps.
Certified International property Specialist
Resort and Second homes
Realty Executives of Nevada
Getting to know your neighbors is important. Also having a pool or landscaper take care of the grounds or pool can give you extra pair of eyes. There are people who you can also hire to watch the house when you are gone...
Summerlin is a wonderful choice for a 2nd home!
Phil Scheinman, ABR, GRI, E-PRO
Broker * Sales Agent * Realtor
2831 St. Rose ParkwaySte. 100
Las Vegas, NV 89074