Home Buying in Lexington>Question Details

dbcarson2, Home Buyer in Belmont, MA

Is it reasonable for the seller to change the closing date after the agreement is signed and before the P&S?

Asked by dbcarson2, Belmont, MA Sat Mar 30, 2013

Answers

12
As long as you all agree I do not think it would be a problem. I would suggest talking to your real estate attorney too.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 21, 2013
If the date is acceptable with both parties, you might be able to change date.
It is important to know that no party can change the closing date, however, both parties can push back or pull forward the date if they both signed an addendum stating that is their intention.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone
http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
Cbcarson2,

The offer is a legal and binding document.

My suggestion would be for your agent and or attorney to contact the other parties and see if it is acceptable to them.

Again as everyone stated below it is not uncommon to make the change, but reasonable and the authority granted can be completely different.

Remember the buyer has obligations and time constraints on them as well. Hopefully they have nothing to sell,are reasonable and love your home and like you.

Louis
thanks, louis. this was helpful.
Flag Sun Mar 31, 2013
It is not unusual for some terms of accepted Offer to change before P&S is signed and even after it is signed. I hope you have Buyer's Agent! If you do, ask your agent to negotiate the change so it gets accepted by the buyer or suggest alternatives strategies. If you take an approach to solve a problem with respect to all involved you will not have to worry about whether it is reasonable or not. Good luck!
Which agreement are you referring to that was signed before the P&S, (the offer?). Depending on what forms you signed, dates can be changed by both parties, buyers and/or sellers, This happens sometimes during a transaction after the P&S is signed where a buyer or a seller needs to change the date and if everyone is on board then it is ok. But it depends on your particular circumstances. Talk to your buyers' agent and attorney
Web Reference: http://wenrealty.com
It all boils down to wants in the PS agreement. If the PS is signed dates cannot be changed without permission of BOTH parties.

The standard Massachusetts Purchase and Sale is pretty clear on that, if that is what you used. If it becomes contentious is is time for you to use an attorney. Many times a buyer has financing to square away, movers have been scheduled and if the date is pushed farther out they will not have a place to live. This may become a financial burden for you the buyer.
I could understand your possible frustration. This kind of thing does happen from time to time.
Yes it is but you could insist not to change. There is usually a reason so you may want to just have a discussion.
I guess everything is really negotiable you don't have to sign the purchase and sale. you could always hold your ground and say i don't want to buy this house with these terms
A closing is always subject to unforeseen delays and to the personal schedules of 4 parties: buyer and seller and their attorneys. When I execute contracts, I tell both parties that the closing date is a target that all parties should try for. Then I go on to tell them that it is not likely that it will be on that exact date.
Whether or not it is reasonable is up to the parties involved, but it happens quite often that one side requests a change of close date after an accepted offer for a variety of reasons.