Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Shiven, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

Is it practical to rent in law unit (no kitchen, no washer/dryer)?

Asked by Shiven, San Ramon, CA Tue May 14, 2013

I am considering a house with in law unit but not sure if it is rentable. Appreciate your input.

Answers

4
If the unit does not have kitchen facilities or laundry facilities what does it have? It appears to be a bedroom suite with bath???

Yes, it is rentable but not for the same amount and with the same convenience as an apartment type property.
I don't know the legal aspects of renting this unit so check with the city. I have some personal friends who live in the north Bay Area but need to be in San Jose on Tuesday and Wednesday. They rent an in-law unit with no kitchen or washer and dryer. They spend one or two nights a week in the unit and eat out. I believe they may have a micro and mini fridge. They find it is less expensive to do this than stay in a hotel and pack clothes each week!

So, perhaps you can rent it out, but again, check with the city...and be realistic on what you can charge!

Sally Blaze
Alain Pinel Realtors
01856137
Sblaze@apr.com
925-998-1284
are you looking to rent just the in law part? Do you really want to share your kitchen, w/d with a tenant? check with zoning too to see if it would be allowed/
Hi Shiven,

First off, this document may be a great guide for you if you will be stepping into the shoes of Landlord:
http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/Landlord-TenantGuideCA2012.pdf

Next, I would hit the City Permit Office (not sure if prop is in SR or dif city) to investigate the process for adding at least a mini-kitchen of some sort to make it more attractive to a renter, and/or any guidelines for minimal necessities in regards to ordinances, etc..

-Steve