A.S., Home Buyer in Baltimore, MD

Is it possible to request a home inspection before making an offer on a short sale?

Asked by A.S., Baltimore, MD Thu Jun 11, 2009

After months of searching, a short sale has shown up that I really like. The home looks well maintained but I know that means nothing. Is it possible to pay for a home inspection before I make an offer when it is a short sale, as is buy? Do you know any reputable home inspection companies in the Pittsburgh area?

Answers

5
Do your best in looking at the property you intend to make your home. Go beyond the kitchen and baths and room sizes. Look in the basement, at the roof, walk the exterior, look at the electrical service, etc. By doing so, you'll be more than comfortable that you've really checked the property prior to making your offer. And when your offer is in place, then get the property inspected. If you do your due diligence you'll raise your confidence level. A home inspection, while not terribly expensive, does cost money and if you're not confident this is the home for you, why proceed? Contact me to discuss further.
Yes, it is possible to conduct a home inspection prior to making an offer on a short sale. Prior to investing what could amount to several hundred dollars, though, I would have your agent check to see if:

1. Other offers have been submitted on the property. In our market, that is not unusual and most clients don't want to invest the money for a home inspection until they are more certain their bid will be the successful one.

2. Where is the property in the short sale process? Sometimes, these sales can half a year to process and a home inspection done months earlier will likely need to be done again. Much can go wrong with a home over a few months--especially one that is vacant.

3. Consider making your offer subject to a satisfactory home inspection--if that is not already in the boilerplate of your offer. Then conduct the inspection when you have clarity as to whether your offer will be accepted or not.

Finally, take this advice with a grain of salt if your are married to a home inspector or have one in the family who will do said inspection as a favor.

Best wishes in finding a great home, in great condition--at a great price!
Web Reference: http://sandiegopreviews.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 12, 2009
Roberta Murp…, Real Estate Pro in Carlsbad, CA
A.S,

It certainly is possible to get a Home Inspection before making an offer. Just ask your Realtor to get permission from the Seller through their Realtor so you can gain access to the property. I personally think it is a great idea. We work in the Philadelphia PA market but your Realtor can help you with a home inspection company that is properly certified.

I think that for Short Sales and for "As-is" sales, particularly when you are a home owner looking to buy a potentially distressed property, getting a home inspection is a good idea. Many investors do not choose the inspections because they are skilled enough to get an idea of what the condition of the home is by their own personal review.

But remember, you are protected by the "contingency clauses" in the agreement of sale if you choose them. If you choose to elect an inspection in the contract, you can choose the time frame in which you will need to get the home inspection and make your decision to stay in the deal or back away with no harm or risk to your deposit.

Your Realtor can advise you in more detail. Just ask.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 12, 2009
I don't see why not. Do you have an agent you are working with? If not, then get one to help you. You could put in an offer contingent on an inspection. But inspecting the property before putting in an offer is not unheard of.

Find yourself an agent and have your agent talk to the listing agent about it. Good luck.

Terrence Charest, e-Pro
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 11, 2009
Since I see you are from Pittsburgh I'm guessing you are buying a property in the area. First off all sales in PA are "as is" whether its from a seller, bank, or corp. Secondly I think it would be a horrible idea to pay for the expense of a home inspection not knowing whether the seller (or bank) is going to accept your offer. All real estate agreements have to be in writing to be enforceable. If you just tell the seller a price and they verbally give the ok then you are setting yourself up for problems later. You need to get a good real estate agent to help you write up an offer and get all your ducks in a row. After everyone signs the agreement you generally have 15 days to have and reply to any inspections. If you do an option 1 inspection you can walk away if something has come up. Please get a real estate professional to guide you through the process.