Jd, Home Buyer in 34286

Is it possible to find a nice home in North Port FL ? Iv'e been told the condition of other homes in the neighborhoods is often in question.

Asked by Jd, 34286 Tue Jan 11, 2011

Answers

6
JD,

Thank you for your question. Many people have asked that about North Port and if they had visited the area ten or more years ago, they may still have that opinion. During the last decade, North Port has grown quite a bit and is now the largest city in Sarasota County and the largest between Fort Myers and St. Pete.

There are some areas that are older and while I would not say they are bad, they show their age and are dated. There are other areas that are quite remote and you may find a secluded home on a street with broken pavement.

There was quite a bit of speculation in North Port during the boom and consequently, a significant number of foreclosures and short sales. Some of those were neglected and do show it. But you can still find very nice neighborhoods and great deals.

The Heron Creek area, between US 41 (Tamiami Trail), north to Price and between Sumter and Pan American is an especially nice area. Areas adjacent to this are also a good bet as is the village of Bobcat Trail off Toledo Blade Blvd.

Less expensive, older properties are found SW of 41 between Biscayne and Sumter. These are just a few of the neighborhoods. You can search closely on our website. I have a page dedicated to North Port real estate: http://www.suncoasteam.com/articles/57.html

Here you can see aerial maps and street views of specific listings as well as details about the properties. Feel free to call or email if you have further questions about the town.

Jim

James Mulligan
Licensed Real Estate Broker
Suncoasteam Realty
941-456-3034
Web Reference: http://www.suncoasteam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 11, 2011
There are a lot of short sales and foreclosure properties in North Port that are not in such great condition, but you can get good deals on homes. The outside of the property is generally taken care of because the City of North Port will give a fine to anyone not mowing their lawn. Bank owned homes have someone take care of the exterior of the property. North Port is mixed with some older but many newer homes.

I have sold many homes in North Port that have turned out to be wonderful homes for the buyers. I have people that live here year round with children as well as snow birds. It is best to drive around the neighborhoods to see which areas are most appealing to you.

Check out the City of North Port web site if you would like more information on the city itself.http://cityofnorthport.com/
There are many homes in North Port area that are newer homes. North Port was hit exceptionally hard in the real estate down-turn and many homes went into foreclosure or short sales. I suggest visit the area and drive some of the neighborhoods. It's a great community and a growing community. Find a good local Realtor to assist you and work with them.
Jim Soda 941-809-7759
The Soda group
jim@jimsoda.com
Keller Williams Realty Lakewood Ranch
Sarasota, Fl. 34240
Web Reference: http://www.jimsoda.com
JD,
Just like a lot of other places, North Port had rapid growth during the housing boom and now times have changes. There are good neighborhoods and all types of different neighborhoods. You just have to come here drive around and do a little research.
First step would be to contact a Realtor you feel comfortable with and then you will get the detail information you need to make an informed decision.
Genny
Dear JD:

To answer your question simply, yes.

Everyone's definition of "nice" is different. But I will say that there are some incredible deals on newer homes in the North Port area, if you are willing to put in some elbow grease. I've been working with a couple of buyers in this part of our market for the past few weeks, and the deals are out there. The condition of neighboring homes in the areas we looked in did not become an issue for my clients.

North Port was the epicenter of our area's real estate foreclosures in the down market, and there is still a lot of bank-owned inventory to sell. If you want a "deal" on a foreclosure you should expect that there will be homes in that same area in a similar condition. If you want an area with a higher percentage of owner occupied properties, you should expect to pay more.

I have a page on my website for North Port, where you can search for properties from our MLS: http://www.davidbarrhomes.com/north_port.html

David Barr, Broker Associate
Sandals Realty
Twitter: @sarasota_homes
Blog: homesinsarasota.blogspot.com
Consider working with an agent of your own and schedule some showings, see home conditions firsthand--keep in mind that opinions are often subjective, what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another...