Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

angie5501, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

Is it possible to find a home under $300K in a safe neighborhood within a 30-minute commute of Eastlake Avenue East in Seattle?

Asked by angie5501, Seattle, WA Mon Jan 27, 2014

Answers

10
There are wonderful areas in the Seattle area.
Click on my profile if you would like to contact me directly.
Always happy to help.
Your realtor should be able to send you daily listings.
7/13/2014

Angie - have you located a property or are you still in need of any assistance ? thanks

Dave Skow
Eagle Home Mortgage
206 714 0745
daveskow@eaglehm.com
Yes, I have helped some people in this price range recently that live in proximity to North/Central Seattle. There are also single family homes (no HOAs) that will fit this price range as well. They might need a little elbow grease, but it's a great way to have space around you and build equity in your most important investment. I'm happy to share more if desired.
(kim@kim-mulligan.com)
A quick search on our MLS yielded hundreds of results. In that price range within a reasonable proximity (what would normally take me 30min) of Eastlake, the majority of properties available are condos. What type of home are you considering? There are a lot of great options depending on your preferences. Regarding safety, there are a number of ways to check the safety of the neighborhood you want to live in or are considering. One way that I share with everyone is to check the crime statistics on the Seattle Police Departments website and also to look at their online monthly crime map.
http://www.seattle.gov/police/crime/onlinecrimemaps.htm Kjellbock@cbbain.com 425.268.2627
The safe part -yes.

The $300k part - if you're looking for a single family home - will be pretty tough. There are a few options for houses in areas like Lynnwood, Shoreline, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwod, Des Moines, South Seattle, ect.,. but they generally need a little work and are far and few between. So patience and quick decision making will be key. If you don't necessarily need or want a single family home then your options really open up. I see there are plenty of condos and townhomes even within 15 minutes of there.

I would suggest first talking with a Realtor and getting pre-approved with a loan officer. Then visit a few open houses in the $300k range in various areas to get a feel for what your money can buy. If you feel drawn to a certain area, then do a test run and commute from that area during rush hour to really see what the drive would be. If commute is a big deal to you, you'll find out petty quickly it's do-able or not. At the very least it will put things into perspective for you. You will know fairly quickly if you're willing to spend more to be closer in or if you're willing to drive a little further out to get more house.

Hope this helps!
Jennifer Nilssen
Real Living NW Realtors
There are always homes in a variety of ranges and locations. Of course, it all depends on what you're looking for and patience is always key in this market.

Feel free to reach out if you want to share more details about you're search.

- Nick
Yes, absolutely. It all depends on your needs and your lifestyle. Is transit a priority? Do you like urban or suburban neighborhoods? Single-family home, townhouse, or condo flat? With your parameter of '30-minute commute', you are opening up possibilities as far north as Edmonds, and south as far as Desmoines. Inventories are low, so you need to be pre-approved for a mortgage, and move quickly when you find something you like.
Yes! There are dozens of condos and co-ops that could be perfect for you. Let's talk and I can give you specifics. kengraff@cbbain.com
Hi Angie,

The short answer to your question is yes. Though the reality is that inventory is low and it would greatly depend on what you are looking for in a home and what neighborhoods you are open to. Possible areas to consider would be north seattle, some parts of west seattle, beacon hill/columbia city. The majority of homes in this price range are going to be A) Fixer-uppers, or B) Distressed properties (short sales, bank owned properties, etc.)...occasionally homes listed under $300k may not fall into one of these categories I mentioned and are still close to the city, but they will go fast so as a buyer you need to be ready to write an offer as soon as you see it, and be ready to compete with other buyers.

Working with a buyer's agent is free, so if you haven't met with one yet i suggest you do so. I have helped clients in this price range and I would be happy to help you or answer any questions you may have. Feel free to reach out to me anytime! Thanks!

Michael Copeland
425-213-8124
MichaelCopeland@KW.com
http://www.mbcopeland.com