Home Buying in Claremont>Question Details

Diane, Home Buyer in Southern Oaks, Baker...

Is it possible to buy a nice 2 bed. single family home in a good area near a village for less than $350,000?

Asked by Diane, Southern Oaks, Bakersfield, CA Thu Jan 8, 2009

My husband is currently retired and I soon will be. We currently live in Cincinnati, where housing is comparatively cheap. We have family in southern CA and would consider a move out there but do not want to carry a mortgage. We would like a one story, with a yard on a quiet safe street with at least 1,500 sq. feet. We would prefer living within walking distance to a library, post office and shops and on the Metro Link Line. Would consider other areas if they meet above criteria......Thanks.

Joan Patterson’s answer
Hi Diane,

I grew up in the Midwest so I understand how cheap the housing is! It certainly is a shock out here, but the weather sure pays for itself! You cannot beat the 75 degrees we had today!

I just checked the MLS for you regarding Claremont. There is one home under $350,000 in Claremont. It is a 3 bedroom 1 bath, single story, built in 1952, only 1082 sq. feet on an 8000 sq. foot lot. So, this is smaller than you wanted. There are a few other homes listed at $399,000 right now in Claremont.

There are other areas that are quite lovely that are close to Claremont. The closer you get to Los Angeles, the higher the prices. I live in Alta Loma or some people call it Rancho Cucamonga. There are a lot more homes under $350,000 and they are really nice as well. Upland has many nice homes too. Why don't you plan on coming out here and I can give you a tour of the areas and homes that are on the market. Maybe that will help you determine better.

I would be happy to send homes via the internet if you would like. You can contact me at my email address below.

Kind regards,

Joan Patterson, B.A., A.S.P., G.R.I., Realtor
Hello Diane:

Santa Clarita is just such a place located about 35 miles North of Los Angeles International Airport. Try these links for info on the city.

You can get a nice Single Story House in the price you mentioned. If you need more info do let me know.

Bob Khalsa
United America Realty
bobfoxbat@gmail.com http://www.bobkhalsa.com