Conunpar, Home Buyer in Charleston, TN

Is it possible to ask for a tax reassessment when buying a 2nd hand condo at a lower price than orginally sold?

Asked by Conunpar, Charleston, TN Sat Feb 11, 2012

I am considering buying a condo en New Brunswick. The property taxes are quite high since they are based in the original sell prices at a market peak. The property has a tax abatement in place. My question is if it is possible to buy and then claim a tax abatement

Answers

3
John Sacktig’s answer
Yes, you can file a tax appeal.

In New Brunswick, as I know it.. There are tax abatements for some buildings/developments that were for 30 years that are in place. If a property sold, then the abatement was adjusted for the sale price by a ratio.. (Price going higher) But that was when the prices were low.. IIf the property is now sold lower than the abatement should adjust. But I am thinking you are not going to go below the original abatement.. as the whole build would have to be reassessed.

What building is this, Spring St? The Heldrich? I am curious as I know most of what is happening here and would like to inquire about it.

What does your agent say? They should know what they are selling!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 11, 2012
In NJ, the taxes is assessed by town.
It has been a wild year for the Tax Guy in every Town Hall.
Everyone is paying him a visit.

That is alwasy your first step.
Go visit him. Be nice!
But go prepared.

Have your Agent give yop SOLD comps for your unit.
The actual SALE price of your unit is also a powerful piece of evidence.

If you do not like what he says, you can challenge it at the County level.
You town Tax Guy will also be able to give you the appropriate forms to do that, as well,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 11, 2012
Typically there is a window to challenge assessed values on homes/condos every year. Contact the local county tax assessor's office and they can tel you the protocol.

Good Luck