Home Buying in Delray Beach>Question Details

rrrubins@gma…, Home Buyer in Delray Beach, FL

Is it okay to have more than one realtor searching for you? Why or why not?

Asked by rrrubins@gmail.com, Delray Beach, FL Mon Mar 18, 2013

Answers

13
Al Wolf’s answer
Not good to have multiple realtors since they basically use the same source MLS. Also if they find out then they half heartedly work or not at all for the buyer. As to pocket listings alot of the time they are bogus since they're doing a disservice to the seller by not getting full exposure to the market. Therefore find one reputable broker and hold them to the fire on showing the latest inventory to your search criteria.
Your agent spends a lot of time preparing and reviewing possible homes for you. There is a great deal more to assisting you than driving you around in a car. If you work with more than one realtor, you run the risk of creating problems of "procuring cause" when you finally choose a home. One realtor will have done work for you and not get any payment for their time and expenses in working with you. Do you work for free? That is essentially what you are asking a realtor to do.

Your realtor shows you loyalty and good faith, and you should do the same for them.

I hope you make the right decision.

Myke Triebold
850-305-6256
MykeSaysSold@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 18, 2013
Do you enjoy working for free? That's essentially what is going to happen to one of the agents you're working with. This is a business and the way we make money. Please have enough respect for the professional(s) you choose to work with to not waste someone's time and energy.

If they work the same market they have the same access to what is for sale. The only differences are the services they offer and their experiences. Choose whomever fits best with you and go from there.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 18, 2013
There is no need to have more than one agent working for you when one agent can do all the work you need. As a REALTOR, we have acess to the MLS, a multiple listing service, which agents use to search all areas and homes that are represented by local real estate companies currently on the market. We as agents, cooperate with other real estate companies and can show any listing that is on the market and featured in the MLS. If you are working with an agent who represents buyers, then there is no need to work with two, unless you are not satisfied with the work of one particular agent. If you feel your agent is not providing what you want or are not satisfied with his or her work, then by all means search out another agent, but there is no need to work with more than one at a time.
As an agent I would have to say it is wrong, it is not fear to the agent whom are working very hard to find you the best property. Keep in mind that an agent does not get paid until you purchase a home. Now that is assuming you are dealing with a professional responsible real estate agent, If you find that the agent you are working with is not doing the job for you or you just don't get along with. It is best to let the agent know you no longer want to work with them and find an agent that you enjoy working with.

Zack King
01882407
Keller Williams Estates Calabasas
(818) 825-7388
Zking1@live.com
http://www.PetPlanetRealty.com
Prices are rising as inventory diminishes. That part is true of many parts of Florida & the US.

Asking for some type of pre approval or proof of funds prior to doing any work is not an outlandish request. As a serious buyer I don't understand why that would be upsetting. Just because you give someone a copy of your approval does not mean you are tied to them. It does show your willingness & drive though. As the market has changed most of us are getting calls & emails from people wanting to purchase...many times they are not serious. Professionals do make this request up front.
Thank you! I understand your clear explanation. I didn't realize the agents there are receiving calls & emails from so many people who aren't serious about purchasing. It has to be extremely frustrating. An upfront initial explanation like yours would have saved me a lot of frustration as well.
Flag Sun Mar 24, 2013
That all sounds nice. However, when you live out of state, it is difficult to interview/screen realtors. How about when an out of state client simply wants to ask some general questions about different areas/developments/association fees/mandatory club fees, etc. & it isn't listed online.
A realtor told me she would help me & began pressuring me to give her a copy of my pre-approval, etc., but hadn't answered some general questions I had. I have relocated due to my job several times to several different states. Before I actually moved, I always had an agent help me narrow things down a bit. It really helped us expedite a purchase. She had me so upset by telling me inventory is diminishing/prices are rising, I need the copy of your pre-approval, when can you get here? I was certain, without meeting her, that she wasn't the realtor for me. Another realtor contacted me & told me she would help, she would be persistent & asked me if I was working with any other realtors. I told her I had contact with one, who sent me a couple listings & then I began to feel too much pressure. I haven't heard back from the second agent!
I never experienced this before. I refuse to work with any agent who is not willing to provide me general information, but consistently pressures me for personal information as if I am ready to present an offer.
Hi R Rubins,
As its not fair for an agent to spend countless hours of research, and work, even spreviewing and showing properties for you to be able to use another agent to purchase is not fair. Remember we only get paid if the property closes, gas is expensive and time is money. As a top agent we have to choose our clients as well as you choose us. I have passe on clients wanting to see proprties now but will have money to purchase a year from now. I then become a tour guide and put a ready and able willing buyer pushed asise and ont feed my family. have to prequalify ny clients as weell, many people visit Florida and dream of buying or living here and do not have the ability to obtain financing. If we dont ask the questions we dont get the answers. Unfortunately we have to weed out the tire kickers or unqualified buyers as we get an excess of inquiries as South FL agents, especially winter months when thousands visit and hear about the market all time low. We don't intend to be rude but work smart as an experienced agent. I sign a month broker reresentation agreement so even if a client buys a property through another agent i am still entitled my commission, unless we mutually cancel our agreement. So hopefully we equally hire each other based on our meeting of the minds and agree to a great working relationshi with each other. As i still work hard for my clients yet they dont pay me as the seller pays commission at closing. So we become a transaction broker to deal honestly and fairly to all parties. I do work as a buyer broker agent and charge a fee on low priced properties where the commission is so low its not worth all the time and efforts without a buyer contribution, even the small deal sometimes take up more time. paperwork, and approval processes than bigger deals. Many new agents lacking experience jump at any call and have lacking experience in legal contracts, negotiation, representation, and market knowledge so would you really want to put them to work for you? I am a Multi Million dollar producer and believe in Teamwork. Feel free to contact me to discuss your needs, and we can interview each other.

Best Regards, Let your former Pro Athlete Fight for You!
Russ Greenberg, Realtor, ePro, RELO "Experience Counts"
561-445-8782

Florida's Real Estate Leader since 1926, 30 offices serving South FL
http://russgreenberg.live.keyes.com
Keyes Real Estate, Mortgage, Title, & Insurance
Boca Blue Lake Office
1200 Yamato Rd Suite B-1
Boca Raton, FL 33431
FlaHomeMover@aol.com
Working with two Realtors is simply not ethical for all the reasons cited by other Realtors in response to your question. Work with the one you have the best chemistry with. It's that simple.

Sy Zachar
Luxury Partners Realty
Because you will be deceiving one of them, by giving them false hopes of a possible sale, while being well aware it will never happen.

Imagine you are promised a great job promotion if you show extra efforts and productivity. Then you get to the office and find your office coworker was promoted...and not only you were not, you are being let go with no severance package. It's simply wrong.
No, it is not Okay!
If you need it explained to you......
You should only work with an Agent that you have cnfidence in and
with whom you are going to make yourself available ! The Buyer -Agent
relationship requires an investment of time and energy to achieve a result
from both parties. If you can't focus -using any # of Agents won't get you
a deal either.

Bob Brubaker Highlight Realty Palm Beach County FL. 561-876-6649
Web Reference: http://www.pbc-realcam
How can you ascertain you have confidence in an agent beforehand? I like your answer. I am just very frustrated with an agent right now!
Flag Sun Mar 24, 2013
Since Realtors all belong to a local association and work off of the MLS of that association, in theory all would be coming up with the same results. Good manners would dictate picking the one who comes across as the most informed and most professional and with whom you feel most comfortable working with. Otherwise no, it's not good to string people along.