Home Buying in Sumter County>Question Details

Justin Weaver, Home Buyer in Orlando, KY

Is it ok to do a walk thru 3 days before closing? Is it normal for the buyers agent not to be at the closing?

Asked by Justin Weaver, Orlando, KY Thu Jul 12, 2012

My realtor is going out of town for a week. Is it ok to do a walk thru of the property on Friday when I will be closing on Monday? Also this is the first home purchase I have ever gone through, do I need to be worried about going to the closing by myself since my agent is going out of town?

Answers

6
will be there with the title company and for some reason the sellers are doing the signing after my appointment....is this unusual?
Are you using a title company or an attorney to do the closing (here in MN we use title companies). The title closer or attorney will be able to assist you in answering any questions at closing.

Preferably it 's best that both buyers and sellers agent be there at closing. But often the agent will end up just being window dressing at closing as the title closer / attorney is more than qualified to answer questions. Just make sure you are able to review the HUD1 with your agent, have your photo ID at closing and have the cashiers check for closing costs, etc. You may want to ask for the name of the title closer / attorney should questions come up prior to closing.
My agent is the only person in the office...he is self employed and no I don't have an attorney. Agent is going over the numbers with me tomorrow and I am going to request walk through Monday morning.
Personally, I like to do the walk-through the morning of the closing... but it's not uncommon to do a walk-through 72 hours prior.

If your agent will be out of town, ask him/her to have one of his colleagues attend the walk-through and the closing with you. Even if you're represented by a real estate attorney, it's nice to have another person there on your side, with the file, who can get answers for you, if they should crop up.

I would never send a client of mine, especially a first-time buyer, to a closing without me, or someone I'd designated, to be with them.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Walk through when it is convenient for you. Your lawyer will be there at the closing to represent you, right? Or maybe you are not using a lawyer (it's not a good idea, but people do it all the time). If you have reason to worry, maybe it would be worthwhile to hire an attorney to stand in at the closing. He may discount his fee since he won't be able to do his whole job - or he may refuse to do something partway. I would.
Wanted to add that there will be no one representing me at the closing I will be with the sellers agents only. Makes me a little nervous.