Home Buying in Santa Maria>Question Details

Debi Brown, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

Is it now common practice for homeowners to stay in the home when you're viewing it? What happened to stepping out for 15 minutes?

Asked by Debi Brown, Phoenix, AZ Fri Apr 19, 2013

One owner even gave us a tour with her 9 dogs :(

Answers

11
I used to be common practice to homeowners to take a break and leave. For some reason they have been reluctant to do that. It might be the horror stories of people ransacking personal property but they seem to wish to stay. I strongly suggest to my sellers to leave for a few reasons. 1. Buyers want do not want to be rushed and when owners are there it is not a comfortable situation. 2. Buyers may or may not like what the sellers look like. They need to see themselves in the house...not the previous owners. 3. As stated below, sellers want to jump in and show every nuance to the property which puts the prospects on edge not wanting to be rude. If the clients are interested, they will have an opportunity to explore the house in detail. 4. If they have pets they REALLY need to leave and take the pets with them.
There is never a good reason for the sellers to be there for the showing or even open houses.
Hello Debi,

Look at the owner being there as a chance for you to get some valuable information.

Start asking questions like:

How long have you lived here
why are you selling
How are the local schools
Where is the best place to buy produce

I have had a seller be present when I showed a home to my buyer. I used it as a chance to talk up my buyer to the seller. Sometimes the seller will accept an offer because they like the buyer. so kill them with kindness and ask a bunch of questions. It may help your offer stand out::)

Much Success to You!

Kawain Payne
Prudential California Realty
It is not common here. Homeowners who hang around will make potential buyers uncomfortable, and this could cost them an offer on the house. I have had buyers request that the homeowner leave the house so they could take a second look.
Hi Debi,

What a waste. People sometimes just don't realize that people are not going to be able to see beyond them standing there in their bathrobe...

It is not standard practice, but some sellers do want to be present. It is difficult. Buyers are just trying to be polite and get over with it. It is not ideal.

Having dogs, and multiple dogs, is just ridiculous. I am a dog owner and I know other people's pets are extremely distracting at best, and annoying at worst.

Tni LeBlanc
Broker, Mint Properties
CA DRE #01871795
(805) 878-9879
tni@mintprop.com
Thank you all so much! I was beginning to really wonder...the woman that was in her robe; yes, the nine dogs and letting us know what she would also sell (that house is still on the mkt); another woman painting the wall w/ nothing covering the floor and her kids laying on beds in the rooms. Sadly, I feel as if we're intruding, not buying something. I've noticed the homes that sell the fastest are those that are empty. Sellers, go sit in your car with your kids and pets, or take a walk around the block for ten minutes. Thx!
Sellers are crazy! I'm sure their listing agent has tried to politely tell them to get EVERYONE out when the house is shown & the Sellers think "...yeah, but I need to show them around...and my dogs are so precious..."
It is not common practice and I typically request that the owner not be present or to step outside while we show a property.

Buyers like to walk around and talk and ask questions. They don't like the feel like they're being watched or judged or can't comment on anything. I think it makes a lot of buyers uncomfortable and casts a negative light on a property. Plus, a lot of the time they feel rushed and don't even really look at the home because they're so eager to leave.
Debi,
What you discribe is eveidence of MORE THAN ONE PROBLEM!
Leaving the home during showing is easily addressed.
NINE dogs a yapping is as bad as a stalking home owner.
-
It is highly likely the seller could not hear the agent when instructed...
"Get out of the house during showings and take thoses yappers with you!"
-
The homeonwer will be writing on Trulia shortly about the under-performance of her agent. All the neighbors homes have sold, but her immaculate, prestine home, loiters. It MUST be the agent!

Isn't it fun?
Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
This could be why the house has been listed almost two years with different realtors. Maybe I could print this out and place it in her mailbox anonymously.
Flag Fri May 10, 2013
The more desirable option is for the seller to step out. Buyers feel far more comfortable looking around a home when it is vacant. Some sellers however, either refuse to leave or can't leave for whatever reason.

So, you make do with what the situation is!
Realtors prefer the owners leave the home while it is being viewed by buyers. With 9 dogs, I can see where that might be a problem.
No, it's not common, but realtors can only do so much. I tell all my sellers to step out, but some of them are so anxious for one reason or another, they insist on staying. And yes, they give tours, they don't want you to miss anything. I wish we could convince them otherwise.
I don't take the listing unless they agree to let me give them the best service, which includes....letting the potential buyer stay as long as they wish and ask as many questions at that time......with owner out of the house. period.
Flag Sat Oct 26, 2013