brenner.rob, Home Buyer in 10024

Is it legal to rent a walk out basement with separate rear enterance in a single family home?

Asked by brenner.rob, 10024 Wed Sep 25, 2013

Answers

3
Although it seems to have the 2 exit requirements for the Fire Department generally basement apartments are not legally rentable unless you have the correct C of O for them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 27, 2013
You need to see if the basement is a legal apartment. I would check with you NY area department of housing or township and find out how it is classified. You can get fined if you do not follow the housing code and that will be no good and harder to get permission in the future.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 25, 2013
Wise of you to ask. While I'm thinking "probably not," I suggest you investigate the housing and building codes of your town and county for converting use to liveable space. If the basement meets the minimum requirements, you may only need a certificate of occupancy, permit and/or license.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 25, 2013