Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

Joe, Home Buyer in Newark, CA

Is it legal to have cooking furnaces installed in garage?

Asked by Joe, Newark, CA Mon Dec 30, 2013

Answers

9
To install a cooking furnace (stove, oven - whatever you call it) in a garage means you are changing the definition of that space. Putting any safety issues aside for a minute, you would technically be changing your garage into a kitchen. It can be done very safely as long as it's done to code with the same type of ventilation you have in your kitchen. The same sanity requirements would apply, so you'd need to install a sink as well.

As stated below, to make a change like this, you will need to contact the City and I seriously doubt that they will allow you to do this. Cities have very specific rules about converting a garage to any use other than it's intended use. No harm in trying, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 3, 2014
Hi Joe,

As far as my understanding it is not legal to have any cooking arrangement in Garage due to safety issue. That said, I have seen tons of properties with cooking furnaces installed in Garage. I would check with the city of Fremont before doing any construction.
Most likely not but the only way to find out is to call the city.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
OK - I need to know from a reliable source: what is a "cooking furnace?"
Cooking furnaces??? Really??? Open fire in a garage??? Without proper ventilation you would be filling the garage with poisonous gas (carbon monoxide) that is odorless and colorless. Does that sound like something that an amateur should do?

If cooking in the garage is possible, it can only be legal if it is installed properly and with local city or county permits.
City code would determine this, I would recommend a quick call to the city building dept. Good luck !
Web Reference: http://sellquickaz.com
Hi Joe, have to agree with Brian. I've seen people with stoves in the garage. You definitely want to have your hook ups inspected to be sure you wont burn your house down. Dawn
Web Reference: http://DawnRivera4Homes.com
That is probably not legal and is a fire hazard with gasoline-filled vehicles in proximity.
Although I don't think it is legal - and you should check with the City, I have seen some people do this. But you will want to make sure you have the city and professional look at your garage. Proper ventilation as well as many things to consider.

We have seen many homes burn due to things like this.