Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Chris Harris, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL

Is it legal for a non-licensed individual to sell buyer and seller leads to a licensed professional?

Asked by Chris Harris, Chicago, IL Sat Dec 15, 2012

Answers

9
That's an interesting question, one that hasn't come up before, at least not for me. I'll be curious to see the responses. Thanks.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
You can "try" to sell them, but it's getting people to pay for them that will be the problem. It's not illegal to my knowledge.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
Yes it is legal.

You do not need a real estate lic to sale leads.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 21, 2012
Completely legal as long as the information is true. There is freedom of speech as well as information but fraud is not... Especially if you own the place and business. You have the right to sell and advertise for your own.. You know the details and you have the paperworks and legal papers are verifiable especially nowadays. People are not that stupid to not know where and how to verify facts and it is no brainer nor secrets...
Perfectly legal as they are really telemarketers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Selling leads is not illegal. Leads are sold all the time on Trulia, Zillow, etc. The biggest hurdle would be in legitimizing the credibility of those leads to the point that someone would pay for them.
It is an interesting question. I don't know the answer for sure, but I would think there is no regulation for providing buyer and seller leads without a real estate license because I don't see how this would be determined as licensed activity.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
In our state you cannot offer much information to buyers or sellers without a license so you can but within the specific consumer protective rules. Real estate professionals are solicited ALOT so setting up your system and proving its value will be key.

Email me with your contact info if you want to discuss it.

janey@janeybishop.com
Regardless of the legality, which may have to do with various state laws (ask a lawyer) I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.. Unless, we are talking about subscription services, Trulia, Realtor.com, which are, in effect selling advertising space... Not really sure what that's worth, either...