Home Buying in Winfield>Question Details

Mage, Home Buyer in Winfield, IL

Is it impossible to get a mortgage with a credit score of 590?

Asked by Mage, Winfield, IL Sun Jan 2, 2011

With a low credit score is it impossible to get a mortgage within the next 9 months? If it is possible, what are the best steps to take? What should we look out for so we don't get taken by a predatory lender?

Answers

6
The market today is changing. Loan officers have many new programs out there for buyers. Call one today and let them tell you what they can do for you and how they can help you increase your credit. the higher the credit, the stronger the purchasing power you have. If you call today you may be able to buy in the next 6 months. Good Luck!
Hi Mage,
Credit markets hav tightened significantly in the last several years regarding minimum standards to qualify for a loan. What many individuals don't know is that not only do underwriters look at the score, which is the first thing that is looked at, but there is also emphasis placed on why the score is where it is. You would want to speak with a lender who can not only help you increase your credit score, but also look at your entire report the way an underwriter would. Although you do not have a credit qualifying score right now, I have helped customers improve their score within 30-90 days, depending on their situation, by using a program that comes directly from the credit bureaus to help your score increase. If you'd like more information, please feel free to reach out to me. You're not that far away from owning a home. Also, just food for thought, you'd rather have any unresolved debt taken care of and/or credit cards payments lowered before you purchase rather than later, it's just a financially responsible thing to do. Too your success
Cecelia Marlow
Mortgage Banker
312-738-6294
Mage,

As mentioned by Mike, it is possible, but there are severe limitation when your score is below 620. As a broker, I do have an FHA lender that lends down to 580, but there guidelines are much stricter and rates nearly a full point higher.

Since you have time (you mentioned 9 months), depending on what the reason for your credit score is, you may be able to work on it and get it up to 620 or above to qualify for standard FHA rates with lenders. It is important to know that it is lenders that set the minimum credit score to which they will lend. I have worked with several clients to help them work on improving their credit score to get up to a level where they can qualify for the best rates. My information is below. Take some time to read this article as well by my boss on how to improve your credit score: http://www.moneypress.com/how-to-improve-your-credit-score.htm

I'd love the opportunity to work with you. Give me a call or email me for more information.

Bradley Eggers
Senior Loan Originator
Ardain Mortgage
847-963-1000 (office)
847-744-0168 (cell)
bradley.eggers@ardain.com
NMLS #: 222407
You can get a mortgage with that credit score, but your interest rate will be significantly higher than the current "good" rates, which means you would qualify for a smaller loan. I would suggest getting a copy of your credit report to see what is bringing your score down. You can get a copy for free at AnnualCreditReport.com. There may be some small things which you can pay off which would bump up your score to the better range (currently 620 and up). I would also recommend contacting a loan officer in your area who can guide you and make suggestions. With the right moves you could increase your credit score in just a few months.
Mage, Yes, it is impossible, and it should be.....if you were able to get a loan, your interest rate would be way too high.

In the next nine months, your emphasis should be working on getting those scores up to the mid 600's, at the very least.

I have no idea what caused your low scores, but that's where your attention should be focused..

Pay bills on time - don't use more that 50% of your credit limits (so pay down high balances) , and make sure all the information on your scores is correct.

You didn't mention anything about a down payment............so........If you don't already have a savings account - start working on that, as well.

Best wishes.........
Mage,
If your credit score stays in that range, you will not qualify. Hard money lenders and lease options may be the exception, but you will pay some high premiums if you get a taker.
Your best suggestion is to find a local lender who will work with you to improve your credit. As a licensed lender I've done this with clients in the past successfully. Removing legitimate errors, paying down certain debts, maintaining a clean history can all be steps in the right direction. The sooner you start, the sooner you may be able to buy. Depending on why your score is at 590, you may be successful within a few weeks or months of achieving a score of 640 or better.