Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Trulia New Y…, Other/Just Looking in New York

Is it important to find a home inspector with "certifications," why are these important?

Asked by Trulia New York, New York Wed Jan 16, 2013

Answers

6
The home inspector is the person that is going to help you determine if you want to purchase your home and if your thousands of dollars that you will purchase the home for are worth investing in the home.

A state licensed and member of the NAHI would be most preferred.

Best of Luck,

Josh Barnett, Realtor
Metro First Realty
Web Reference: http://www.GetSoldOKC.com
Hi Trulia New York

An Inspector with certifications, such as ASHI goes the extra step in Property Inspections.

He has to follow the steps as required per the Certification requirements and do a thorough job
during the process and in reporting it.

The Certification are above and beyond the License requirements.

Perry
Huh? At first I didn't understand the response "What do you do with all these questions from Trulia? To answer to this newest question is so obvious."

Then I saw that the question was posed by Trulia. So now I'm on-board with her response! And yes the answer is obvious, but I'll play along. (Ha, ha, I was just trying to move a period and it was dust on my screen). But let me stay focused on this important question.

As we are all want to do - is go down the list of professionals or those in the service industry that we expect to have certifications - allow me to point out that on that esteem list includes your
barber
hair stylish
pet groomer
taxi cab driver
bus driver
summer life guard at the Y (okay, maybe that one is important)
your child's camp counselor (okay, maybe that one is important too)

But you do see where I'm going here. Again I'll say it - largest financial transaction in your life - slightly more important than a haircut!

And if how you like your martini is important to you - a great mixologist will have undoubtedly have a certification! Thank's Trulia. Let me know if that helps!

Jaymes
It will be in your best interest to find a qualified certified home inspector on the property your going to purchase. You don’t want to buy a money pit or a lemon. This is why you hire a home inspector that is certified.
Even if you are in a state where a certification is not required for home inspectors, it is always best to select a professional who comes with some level of formal approval. it is no different than selecting any professional - you would want your tax accountant to be "certified".
What do you do with all these questions from Trulia? To answer to this newest question is so obvious.