Question Details

Demples, Home Seller in 23430

Is it customary for the listing agent to be present during the walk-through?

Asked by Demples, 23430 Tue Nov 9, 2010

Answers

7
I have been a Realtor for 15 years. Here is what I feel is appropriate. If you are the listing agent and the property is vacant, then having the selling agent and their client complete their final walk-through alone is fine. I feel that a any GOOD Listing Agent should be in attendance and available in the event that something comes up, if the sellers are still in possession of the property and plan on being in attendance of the final walk-through. I just did a deal with a new agent and he was not in attendance on any occasion other than the first viewing. While I understand that agents get busy, I think that earning your commission is also very important. But maybe this is why I have made a good living on referrals!
It is not customary; but it does save time for the listing agent/owner to return to the home if there's a problem.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
Hi there, wouldn't say it is customary, but sometimes the seller requests it of their agent or it becomes a customary practice of the particular listing agent. By the time of the walk through, negotiations are done, and and so while more times than not, the listing agent does not accompany when I am representing the buyer, I don't see much of a downside if she/he is present. If an issue does surface, all parties are focused on resolution and so if all hands are on deck - it could facillitate resolution of any issues. What would be uncomfortable would be for the sellers to be present - I've only run into that once, and it was my seller, they just needed the peace of mind - and insisted on being there to have it - before getting into their packed vehicle and driving away.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
I don't feel it's a negative and it may be a positive if something should turn up that needs to be discussed at the closing table.
As a listing agent, I like to be there so if there are any questions, I can contact my sellers if they are not there and work out any issues or answer any questions to ensure a smooth closing
Hi Demples,

I am primarily a buyers agent and it is rare that the listing agent be there during the final walk through but I have seen it happen. They may just want to ensure everything closes smoothly.

Chris Blasic
Realty World & Associates
If you are buying a "new construction" some one representing builder should be there, in fact some one is always there. However, if it is resale, seller’s agent should be there and usually is. Of course buyer’s agent has to be there.
George in Tucson