Home Buying in La Canada>Question Details

Marry Sue, Home Buyer in La Canada, CA

Is it customary for agent to be at home inspection?

Asked by Marry Sue, La Canada, CA Mon Nov 18, 2013

I always make it a priority of mine to be at the home inspection when I am representing the buyer, its good to hear the issues that can come up from the professional and ask questions right then and there to see if the issue can be resolved easily or not! Just my approach to the situation, I'm sure my colleagues will chime in on there personal approach.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 18, 2013
It is customary (in my area) for the buyer's agent to be present at the inspection.

Some listing agents do come, perhaps, if requested by the seller. If they are there, they should stay out of the way of the inspector and the buyers.
Which agent?
Usually the listing broker will attend the inspection if the home is still occupied. If the home is vacant, the agent may open the home for the inspector, but usually doesn't stay around.
The selling broker (buyer's agent) usually attends the inspection and receives the verbal preliminary summary from the inspector.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 18, 2013
That depends on the client. I go to most of them but usually meet the client there for the review once the inspector has finished the report.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 18, 2013
It depends on many local customs, the type of listing, etc.

For all of my buyers, I attend the home inspection. I want to be there while they get information as it can directly impact the sales contract. Sometimes the listing agent is there too, sometimes not. I tend not to see the listing agent attend inspections when they are representing an investor (like a home rehabber/flipper).

For all my sellers, I try and attend the home inspection...basically for the same reason above. Things that come out of home inspections can affect the sales contract.

Hope this helps!
Web Reference: http://alexanderlovell.pro
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 18, 2013
It would depend on the Realty' company policy. More often than not, a Buyer's Agent will be present for the entire home inspection. On occasion, a Listing Agent will stop in for a portion of the home inspection.

Chad Roberts
Realty One Group
Our company policy is for the selling agent to attend the whole house inspection. If they are not available to be there, they should arrange for another agent within their company to attend in their place and following the inspection they can discuss the inspection report with the buyer.
I usually do go so that I can be informed of any issues that are found with the house.
Well it is not required. I no longer sell real estate but I was to all but one inspection, and oh how I regretted not being there. I would tell any agent they better make time for that one.
It is quite customary...what you didn't specify was whether you are referring to buyer's agent or seller's agent.

Buyer's agent is almost always at the inspection. It is not uncommon for the listing agent to come in at the end and hear the summary.

I've often found that having the listing agent present for that helps the sellers understand the repair requests that come in from the buyers.

Why do you ask?
Any good agent/broker will attend inspections, and for many reasons. If, like me you have a lot of construction knowledge you can help asking questions, framing questions for the buyer, and helping clients to understand the issues.

Also, how can you negotiate credit requests without having attended the inspection?
There ARE rogue inspectors out there. Some sould not leave home unsupervised.
If the agent is not present, and the inspection report arrives indicating the "Fireplace pan is pooling water" what would anyone do? The image shows water pooled at the very top next to the exit of the stainless steel pipe.
The buyer agent must be there to confirm the issue. The seller agent needs to be there to get a statement regarding what a fix looks like. If the agents involved accept their role regarding PROTECTING their client..they will be there.
In the above example, the rogue inspector misidentifed the pan. A fireplace pan is enclosed at the base of the chimney and is generally not accessible. Pooling on the cap, the correct identification, is not an issue worthy of comment.
Without agent involvement, much drama and hysteria will be created for no purpose.
It is possible the home is being marketed "As-Is" and the seller has make clear their intent. In that case, the buyer has simply purchased a third opinion and the buyer must decide if this home's for them. If the buyer is unable to sort cosmetics from the five systems, they may very well be denied a home because of an over the top report.
Don't get me started on appraisals.
As a matter of practice, a good agent will join the purchaser(s) and the inspector at the property and be there for the entire inspection. This not only gives the agent a first-hand look at any issues that need to be addressed, it also ensures that an extra set of 'eyes and ears' is familiar with how the inspector explains how the problem area might impact the buyer if it is not addressed.

Also, an experienced agent may see something that an inspector may have accidentally overlooked. More importantly, there may be an item that was mistakenly omitted from the inspectors report. Again, the extra set of eyes and ears really make a difference.

Once the inspection report is completed and delivered to the purchaser(s) the agent can rely on the inspectors notes and pictures to answer and explain any challenges that may come from the sellers. It's also an excellent opportunity to understand what is important to the purchaser in terms of what should and should not be included in a request for repairs.

Any interaction that may be detrimental to the purchase of a property that involves an inspector should always include the agent and the purchaser. It reinforces the relationship between the purchaser and the agent and it adds to the credibility of the contract process.

Gene Buckalew, Agent, WelcomeHomeFrederick Team
I attend all inspections with my buyers. I'm always proactive, and available to answer any questions.
Are you referring to your agent, or the sellers agent?
Seller may prefer his/her agent to be present, especially if the property is not vacant. What are your concerns? I may be able to give a more direct answer.
It is not required but it is appropriate for the buyer's agent to show up & not customary but not unusual for the sellers agent to show.

I personally like to attend the home inspections for both my buyers & sellers to answer or ask questions during the inspection to help head off any issues.