Humbert, Home Buyer in 92127

Is it common to find evidence of termites in ~10 year old homes in the San Diego area?

Asked by Humbert, 92127 Tue Sep 20, 2011

Answers

12
Cindy Davis’ answer
Yes, where there is exposed exposed wood, there are termites. It is a function of our climate. I once had a buyer back out of a deal becuase of termites in the attic and could not convince her otherwise.

Termites are a maintenance issue here and are nothing to really worry about. Typically, sellers are charged with the responsibility of cleaning termite infestation and repair wood rot when they well a home. So, as a buyer, you have an opportunity to walk into a clean home free of termite.
Really short answer. Yes. Termites are a fact of life in California. Unless there is already extensive damage it is a simple matter to fix. Even in a relatively new house, some evidence of termites isn't a reason to panic when buying and isn't an indication of anything other than there are some termites there that need to be exterminated.
Web Reference: http://JenniferMu.com
Yes. Since you may be new to home ownership or at least home ownership in San Diego, once you buy a home I would suggest using a monthly service to minimize termites. In the long run that monthly fee can save thousands (just sold a home with $12,000 in termite damage!).
Yes. It is very common to have termite in a 10 years old or even newer homes. As I understand every time that I am there when the termite companies inspector show up for homes with an accepted offer, they say that the termite exist in most roof attic on most homes. If you have a home that is free of termite today, it doesn't mean the it may not be infected by termites tomorrow.

If you are looking to buy a home, it is good to know that unless the home is bank owned or a short sale, most sellers will pay for termite clearance or it is negotiable.

If you are looking to sell a home, in a normal market it is best to get termite clearance done before hand. However, in this market the termite clearance on who pays for it (buyers or sellers) could be negotiable.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions that you might have.

Alex

--
Alex Shadpour, CRS®, ABR®, SFR
REALTOR®, ZipRealty Team Leader
Call/Text: 858.761.1167
Business: 858.605.1911; Fax: 866.886.4874
Email: shadpour@gmail.com
ZipRealty, Inc.; Licensed in CA, #01459622
http://www.MyPreferredRealtor.com

Council of Residential Specialists (CRS®)
Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR®)
Certified Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource (SFR)
Hi Humbert,
It's common to find termites in new construction before the house is finished. Termites and San Diego go hand in hand - every house has termites or dry rot damages, the only question is - How much?
I would suggest that you shop termite companies because I have seen a difference of over $700 between estimates.
I can recommend -
Termite Inspector Co.
7590 El Cajon Blvd.
La Mesa, Ca. 91942
619-741-8456
http://www.termiteinpsectorsite.com
Janet McCarthy
Connect Realty
jmccarthyhomes@gmail.com
858-243-5719
Yes, termites swarm and all home are targets for them
Yes. Termites are endemic to the region and can fly over and take up residence along with you and the family. It's best to always demand a termite clearance when buying a home. And if you're selling it's best to get the termite report done prior to listing to determine what your financial liability is going to be right up front.
Termites are always there and can show up anytime, even a few days after an inspestion or clearance?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 25, 2011
Termites do not discriminate, you will find them anywhere in the country. Lived in Chicago for 35 years and found them busy eating up the dining room floor. Since you are asking the question you must have some concerns I would include it as part of the home inspection.

Good Luck to you.
Absolutely. Termites are common and I've seen them needed within a year or two of the last sale. It is nothing to worry about and is a function of our weather. If you have exposed wood, you will have termites. It is a maintenance matter.

In San Diego, sellers typically pay for a termite clearance. That means they will remove any active infestation and replace any rotting wood.
Hi Humbert,
It is very common in So Cal to have termites even in a ten year old home.
Good louck,
Termites are very democratic fellows:
It would depend on the wood, or more specifically, the treatment of the wood:
Also, the tend to migrate from house to house; if there was an older, infested house in the vicinity, it would be an easy matter for them to find your house.

Good luck and may God bless