Allen, Both Buyer and Seller in Novi, MI

Is it common for sellers to want to verbally negociate your offer?

Asked by Allen, Novi, MI Sun Aug 19, 2012

Should I do this? If not, how to prevent it from happening?

Answers

5
It is fairly common for sellers to negotiate verbally. If you do not want them to do it, simply ask them to put it in writing. It is more tedious, but it will protect you better in the end.

Good Luck,

Derek Werenka
Associate Broker
JCIREO
248-561-6155
http://www.southoakdlandhomes.com
Allen,

When I write a purchase agreement for my buyers and send it over to the listing agent, there are a lot of times when we'll negotiate back and forth to hammer out all the details. Then we'll re-write it so it's "clean" and not written on and crossed off.

The only thing that this would effect is if another offer that's better than yours comes in before the offer is finalized and signed by both parties.

I wrote a quick blog about this. Check out the link below.
It is common to get verbal inquiries regarding an offer to see if the parties have common ground on various details. Moving the discussion to writing as quickly as possible reduces the chance the deal will fail or details of the discussion lost.
You can't stop them, but you can refuse to participate by instructing your agent that you want to "see it in writing."
If it's not in writing, it didn't happen. There are certain situations where it's easier to negotiate verbally but I would advise to get everything in writing as soon as you can.