Home Buying in Upland>Question Details

yiannouly, Other/Just Looking in Upland, CA

Is it cheaper to remodel a pool or start from scratch? I have found some homes that are great, but the pool is so out of date...

Asked by yiannouly, Upland, CA Thu Aug 30, 2012

Answers

4
Cathy Slaght’s answer
I'm no pool contractor, but it definitely seems less expensive to remodel a pool than to start from scratch. The average pool replaster and retile seems to run around 8-12k whereas the average cost to start from scratch is around 45-60k. Upland's soil is extremely rocky, so the dig is the toughest part.
Remodeling is much cheaper I'm sure. I have a pool builder that I can refer you to for an estimate. He most recently re plastered and tiled my fathers pool this Spring. He can build a pool from the ground up so I am sure he can do whatever it is that you decide. Please contact me directly for that referral.

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
BRE Lic #01456982
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 16, 2014
There is a lot that can be done to remodel a pool and in my opinion it would be cheaper to remodel than start from scratch. If the pool is not in working condition or very old you would not give it much value when you are placing an offer on the home. Also if you getting a loan on the home, you should check with your lender to see if there would be any concerns regarding the pool to obtain a loan. For example if it is not filled, usually the lender will not lend on the property.

If you want to remodel a pool, you would need to take into consideration what you would like to have done and if the functionality and position in the yard would work for what you want. I would seek a professional to determine costs, during you investigation part of the purchase (usually you have 17 days). Just like you get a home inspector to help you determine if there are problems with the home, you should get a pool contractor to look at the pool and see if what you want done can be done and how much it will cost.

Call me and we can discuss the options you might have and some of the concerns.

Diana Margala 909-560-0145
Web Reference: http://www.dianam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 31, 2012

It's always best to get a professional opinion from a pool builder. Try calling Glen Douglas at LA Custom Pools in Yucaipa at (909) 794-9772 or check their website at http://lacustompools.com/index.html to get an estimate or see what he recommends. The most honest guy in the business and extremely good at what he does.

When you want to buy or sell call Day Creek Realty and we are offering cash backs to all of our buyers and sellers at close of escrow. Thank you and have a safe Labor Day weekend!!

Caroline Barooshian
Real Estate Broker/Realtor®
License: #01067678
DAY CREEK REALTY
Direct: (909) 200-9280
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 31, 2012