Home Buying in Hillsborough>Question Details

Valerie, Real Estate Pro in Hillsborough, NJ

Is it better to use more than one agent to search for a home? Liz from Hillsborough

Asked by Valerie, Hillsborough, NJ Sun Jul 18, 2010

Answers

5
Ian A. Wolf, ABR SFR’s answer
For whom? I actually believe in the importance of an outlined professional relationship based on properly expressed expectations. If a buyer properly interviews and screens multiple agents to find the best one and does as just described, I believe the client will have an excellent result. For the same reasons you wouldn't hire multiple attorneys to be involved with your real estate transaction, multiple agents will not produce better results. In fact, it might lead to significant procurement issues if multiple agents are showing a buyers the same home and all are working in good faith. I believe in a committed professional relationship that is highly focused on an agreed upon result.Under that circumstance, I have seen the best results achieved for buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 18, 2010
Valerie,

I note from your profile that you are an agent in New Jersey since 1986. I must say that I do find it a bit peculiar with that much experience that you would require an answer to the question and post it on the public forum in the town where you are an agent as opposed to posting it in agent to agent.

Do you suggest that your buyers work with agents other than you when buying a home?

Gina Chirico ,Sales Associate
Lattimer Realty
Hi, Valerie,

Your agent does a lot more than just help you to find a house. See this recent blog entry to clarify what your agent should be doing for you:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/ellen_doc_stephens_realtors/2010/…

As Ian said so well, interview well and pick the best; then work with that person exclusively for the best result for you.

Doc
You can have a bunch of agents all using part of their time, effort and resources looking for you knowing you may buy through soemone else resulting in them not giving it their all or you can get 100% of an agents time, resources and knwoledge assisting you with every aspect of buying a home.

They can assits you in getting prequailified for a oan, providing listings sheets on potential homes, showimg you the homes you want to see, assisting you with negotiations, getting you teh best deal on price and terms, assisting you with the home inspection, appraisal and closing the loan.

The service of one agent giving their all, is worth more than 10 agents each giving you 10%.
Valerie,

Ian's response was very well-said. You should engage a REALTOR who is familiar with the area you are looking for a home. Ask your friends and family if they know of anyone they would recommend. Then look for testimonials that agent has received.

Using one agent is always best - that way there is no confusion and the chosen agent will work very hard for you. If there are multiple agents, they woulc be conflicted and quite frankly, may not want to work with you.

Best of luck,

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner & Certified HAFA Specialist
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach, CA
Moving Lives Forward (TM)
We NEVER DOUBLE-END a Transaction in our Brokerage. It is never beneficial to the Seller or to the Buyer and it is only beneficial to the Agent.
888-391-5245 Direct Cell
thom@thomcolby.com
http://www.thomcolbyproperties.com