Home Buying in Waldport>Question Details

Paul, Home Buyer in Yachats, OR

Is it better to live right on ocean front year round. Or on the east side with out the view?

Asked by Paul, Yachats, OR Fri Jan 4, 2013

Answers

5
Here in Sandpiper Village located in Waldport, our home is at the top of the bluff with unobstructed views of the ocean. Our backyard is full of pine trees, and a pond is just below us. I prefer living here as to being directly on the beach. While those who live on the beach often have lots of wind, we do not. The quarter mile that separates us from those folks directly on the beach make a huge difference.
I think the answer depends on what a person is looking for with their home and lifestyle. Some people want to be on the ocean and others prefer to be back a ways from the ocean. Traditionally there is more maintenance required for an ocean front home. I would also like to state that there are some very nice ocean views in homes away from the frontage.
I hope that this helps.
Scarlett
It will depend on what you want. Living right on the ocean front can get very windy, cars, etc can rust and so forth. But, being out of the view may not be just what you want either.
I've tried both. Living on the Ocean is pretty wonderful with a front row seat to the ocean, whales and all of the birds life, but it definitely requires more maintenance on your home, and may be somewhat windier at times.
Living on the east side of Hwy 101 spectacular and the weather is usually better with less wind and fog. Definitely a better place to be if you're into gardening.
Hello Paul!
It depends on what you mean by "better" and "East side". As far as the weather goes, it is pretty much the same year round right next to the ocean and directly on the East Side of hwy 101. The weather gets notably better during the summer if you go East up the Alsea, Yaquina or 10 Mile rivers. And by "better" I mean you will miss the "Junuary...(fog and cold weather in early summer)" that people get directly on the ocean and will generally have nicer, warmer summer weather as little as 2 miles up river.
Some people really enjoy storm watching with ocean views as well as forest etc views, as we get very dramatic coastal storms.
Let me know if I can give you more insight to your question, hope this helps some!
Kellen Tardaewether