Dee, Home Buyer in 20152

Is it better to have a walkout bassement or a area walk in a single family home from a resale perspective.?

Asked by Dee, 20152 Fri Feb 8, 2008

Also is it good to have property backing to trees or homes or walking trail?

Answers

5
All is based on personal preference. I spend 7 years selling new homes, some buyers preferred any areaway over a walkout for security reasons. Some that planned to rent their basements liked having the areaway door for easier access for their tenants, so the tenants would have their own access to the basement. A walkout condition overall was the preferred choice.

When it comes to the trees or walking trail???? This is a matter of personal opinion and the community. With a walking trail behind, if you are in a high crime area, that could be viewed as a negative, in a golf course community, it could be a huge positive.
It depends on the buyers life style and price range. With my buyers, it often depends on the grading around the house. Home sites that will accomodate a true Walk-Out basement often have a premium. The alternative of a less expensive lot and a double wide Walk-Out basement with sliding glass doors with lots of light, the area exit is quite nice. In-ground with no exit is the least desireable.
Yes, yes and yes. A walk-out basement is more desireable than a walk-up basement, which is more desireable than an inground basement. You'll pay more on the front end (when you buy it), but you'll make it back on the back end (when you sell it).

As for trees, that's definitely more desireable than backing to another home or a road. As for a walking trail, I've heard both from buyers - some love it, some hate it.
Web Reference: http://www.LoudounStats.com
As for the trees, that would be my personal preference. Here in Hampton Roads, however, about half of my buyers are very skittish about too many tall trees within about 75 feet of the house. They will eliminate a home that has trees in the yard. We have been through Hurricane Isabelle, you see, and people remember trees falling on houses as well as the thousands of dollars (not paid by homeowners' insurance) to remove any "suspect" trees after the storm.

Not sure that is a concern in your area. If so, I would consider the resale effects of large trees within "crushing distance." :o)
A walk out basement is preferable to an underground basement. I'm not sure what "a area walk in" refers to. Trees, then walking trail then homes would be the order for your second question. A lot is going to depend on the entire neighborhood but most buyers would rather be looking at woods than other houses and sometimes walking trails can get busy and restrict privacy. Hope that helps. If you are not working with a Realtor on your search for a new home you should have representation. A Realtor can answer all of these questions for you AND protect you during contract negotations whether you are buying a new home or a resale home.