Home Buying in Scarsdale>Question Details

Melissa, Both Buyer and Seller in Scarsdale, NY

Is it better to go to open house on your own or hire a buyers agent at the start of your home search?

Asked by Melissa, Scarsdale, NY Sat Mar 22, 2014

Answers

8
It depends on whether you enjoy going to open houses. You might actually meet an agent you like at an open house. I do recommend connecting with an experienced local agent at the beginning of your search because they can be a great resource regarding neighborhoods, the process, and the market. Once you've identified what you're seeking and are preapproved for a loan, a connected agent can also network and prospect for listings that haven't yet hit the market to give you a greater selection of homes. I have clients who never go to a single open house and clients who love spending their extra time exploring open houses.
Web Reference: http://www.ShowMeHome.com
Do both. Get an agent to work for you, but also check out open houses.
Dear Melissa,
IF you are just scouting neighborhoods, Open House is a good way to make a decision on what neighborhoods you want to buy in.
Once you have that in mind, then contact local "Buyer Agents" who work in that area.
It depends if you like to run around from one open house to another to find surprises in the end. You're better off having your own representation.
Consider working with an agent of your own, no reason not to have your own representation and the service is free; the seller pays commission at closing out of the proceeds of the sale, when two agents are involved the fee is shared, unless you have an agreement with your agent to pay above what is being offered, then you would be responsible for the difference.
If you like to go on our own. Go for it!
But keep in mind that when its time to negotiate I recommend that you get representation.
A realtor is not only here to save you time but also defend your interest.
Call me for more info I work at Coldwell Banker Scarsdale
914-522-6295
Melissa, in my experience I've found that it's better when a buyer use a Realtor to search for properties. Realtors do this everyday. They know what's in the market, they're also excellent at guiding and advising you on values, what and how to structure a strong deal and pretty much walk you through the entire process. You can establish a couple different types relationships with Realtors, but any one of them is better than not having one on your side at all. Good luck! IF MY RESPONSE WAS HELPFUL, CONSIDER CLICKING BEST ANSWER! • Javier Meneses Senior • Loan Officer • NMLS #23130 • STERLING NATIONAL BANK • 290 Broad Hollow Road, Suite 402E • Melville, NY 11747 • jmeneses@snb.com • (516) 606-9648 Cell • (631) 659-2011 Office • (516) 918-5383 Fax
HI Melissa,

If you go to an open house and like the house, keep in mind that the listing agent represents the seller and will negotiate on their behalf. Wouldn't you feel more comfortable having an agent on your side? Please keep in mind that you do NOT have to sign an exclusive buyers agreement to have an agent represent you.

If you would like I can recommend an experienced and professional full-time agent for you in the Scarsdale area. Please email me if you would like that recommendation.

Dawn Noak, LSP, RSSP
NYS Licensed Sales Person, Gladstone Group
631-827-7373
Dawn@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
If you are really interested by the property, the listing agent is suppose to present you a disclosure form that explains who works for whom...
Flag Thu Apr 10, 2014