Home Buying in Dublin>Question Details

Vayu, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

Is it better to go for a single storied home or duplex type?

Asked by Vayu, Fremont, CA Mon Oct 1, 2012

We came across wonderful floor plans in East Dublin by KHovnanian duplex and Braddock and Logan builders single storied plans and both are beautiful. KHOB floor plan is duplex 1b/1bath downstairs and 3bed/2.5bath in 2nd floor which is nearly 3200sq.ft.(priced nearly 260 per sqft) Braddock and Logal floor plan is single storied with 2000sq.ft and priced nearly 360 per sqft. I agree that single storied definitely looks spacious and more airy, is the price different 100$ per sq.ft worth? How's the resale? Does it sell fast compared to duplex homes?

Answers

4
Hi Vayu,

In general, having lived in a 2-story home for many years, I personally prefer single story floorplans for the following reasons:

1) Over time, I did not like having to traverse the stairs multiple times every day and cleaning them was a pain. Also, moving furniture up and down stairs can be a challenging.

2) Stairs are a physical barrier and safety issue for some. Given the large number of "Boomers", this will reduce demand from this market segment when it comes time to sell.

3) From a seismic perspective, wood frame single story homes are more resilient to ground movement.

4) In general, two-story homes are more expensive to construct and/or modify than single story homes.

5) Under the right circumstances two-story homes can be more difficult to evacuate during a fire.

6) Like heights? Try painting the vertical walls of a two-story home without getting vertigo! Having to call a roofer to repair all the newly broken roof tiles you/or the painters created is no fun either.

7) I have walked a few homes in my day and I find more floor issues (squeaks, slight elevation changes, bumps, etc) in two-story homes.

Best, Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2012
Please excuse the poor punctuation. I just got a bunch of stitches in my thumb from a surfing accident and trying to use a keyboard is like trying to talk with a mouth full of novicain. LOL!
Thumbs up to Steve for stealing my thunder. He couldn't be more spot on. To drive the point home even further. Boomers, at least in my area, are swooping up single story homes like a feeding frenzy of anchovies nowadays. You'd be wise to go that direction. Resale for the next 20 plus years should be no problem if marketed to the Boomer demographic.

We've owned a single family ranch in North San Diego County for 32 years and I can't tell you how many RE professionals and not actually knock on my door and ask me if I'm interested in selling. At 67 and having had a double knee replacement ,not to mention my 12 Grandchildres, I'm not about to part with this beautiful piece of property anytime soon.
So many factors come into play with the value of properties --

I am confused by your reference to a duplex ---- typically, a duplex means two separate living units for two separate households. And each unit will have a separate address (and each will have its own functional kitchen and full bath to be considered a separate unit)

But what you're describing seems to mean that one property has a bedroom and a bath on the first floor, with the rest of the bedrooms and baths upstairs. That is not a duplex -- it merely means a 2-story home.

If all things are equal --- location, amenities, size of lot --- the preference may be for single story, particularly as people age or have health issues and cannot manage stairs