Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

alybri27, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

Is it better to buy a home on a corner lot with more space, or in a court with a lot smaller yard space?

Asked by alybri27, San Antonio, TX Sun Oct 28, 2012

Answers

8
I agree, it's a matter of preference and depends on what sie yard you want. When it comes to resale, it is also a matter of preference; however, I find that most buyers prefer an interior lot.
To be honest... that's a personal preference call... Some folks won't look at corner homes, and others wont look at anything but a corner lot...

Which one do you like more? :)

Jason
Well, I have had clients ask for homes on corner lots and cul-de-sac lots. I have never had someone ask for a middle-of-the-street lot, but that doesn't mean that there are not any people that may prefer to have neighbors on both sides.

I used to have a neighbor that had a corner lot and every weekend he always had trash to pick up from people throwing it out their windows while turning at the corner. This was in a nice neighborhood, but it seemed to always happen on this particular lot.

When you find the house that you feel comfortable living in, the lot location will be a distant memory. However, a lot of families with young children do prefer cul-de-sac lots, so you may want to consider that if you have small children or for future resale value.

Thank you for your question and best wishes to you and your family wherever you are on the block.

Monica Barrientos-REALTOR®
210-379-5098
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012
That is a personal choice. It should depend on your familys composition. Small childern, I would lean toward a cul-de-sac, no children the corner lot. Both appeal to different types of people. Corner lots give you some privacy on the street side but possibly more traffic noise. I would say look at a couple of each and make your own choice.

Marty Shields
Real Living/Best Homes
Consultant
210-729607
Here are some of the factors to consider:

1. Depending on the traffic flow, some people think a corner lot may be more hazardous for potential accidents.

2. Generally, corner lots have bigger front and side yards, while courtyard or cul-de-sac lots have larger back yards. Where do you want to play?

3. Corner lot homes sometimes show better because of their increased visibility.

4. Some people tell us that corner lots are less vulnerable to burglaries, because of that increased visibility. Others say that it is safer to have neighbors on each side.

5. Corner lots have one side with no (noisy or nosey) neighbors. But they may have more traffic noise.

6. Smaller yards are easier to take care of, but hard to have a garden party or play croquet or badminton in.

A good idea is to talk with an agent who will take the time to listen to your lifestyle needs and help you to find a home that fits them all and delights you.

Ellen and Doc Stephens
Keller Williams Realty - Cityview
(210) 764-9403
That question is relative to the neighborhood you are looking in. In addition, is it a personal life style choice; do you prefer fewer neighbors, is the additional space on a corner lot appealing to you, is there a lot of traffic noise on a corner lot?

Corner lots have a great curb appeal because of having more land for landscaping, so this may add to your property esthetic value for resale consideration.

Sue
I agree with my collegues, It all depends on your personal needs and life style.
Good Luck
It all depends on lifestyle of the family . Professional stand point I would require see the property prior making any comment

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas