David Lundahl, Real Estate Pro in Orlando, FL

Is it a good time to buy in lake nona? I see that prices are still dropping, but interest rates are also

Asked by David Lundahl, Orlando, FL Thu Jul 10, 2008

going up.

Answers

16
Always fun to look at these old questions and see how things have worked out. Seems to me that the one thing missing from the older answers was why was David thinking about buying? Was he looking for an investment or was he looking for a place to live. If he was looking for an investment, then clearly the middle of 2008 was a not a good time to invest in real estate. (Granted prices were going south so it was the catastrophe of invest in real estate in 2006.) On the other hand in terms of a place to live, Lake Nona was an OK buy 2 years ago. Lake Nona held it's value better then just about anywhere else in greater Orlando and anyone buy there to live there in 2008 will do fine in the long run.

Let's Flash Forward to Spring 2010. What about it? I my opinion, the Lake Nona area has become the best place for a long term real estate investment in Central Florida. All the promotion surrounding Tavistock's Medical City turned out to be true -- it wasn't just hype. When I drove by yesterday there were 8 giant cranes in the air and the two major hospitals are both taking shape.

Check out Lake Nona and me on my website. if you like my approach, then I'd be happy to help you out as well.

Mark LeMenager
Find your next house with the click of a mouse.
Search the MLS without obligation or registration from my website.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 25, 2010
Hi David-

My recent experience in the area has been that the best priced homes in good condition are getting snapped up very quickly. Park Square Homes has enough confidence in the local recovery to begin building inventory (spec) homes again. Our inventory has dropped sharply and number of closings and contracts written per month has been rising for several months.

Bunham institute is up and running and UCF Medical School will be in a few months.

I live in the area and am excited about the new schools and the quality of development we are getting. I believe we are on the verge of great things here in Lake Nona!

Blessings to you in your home search,
Warmly,
Carey Light
Web Reference: http://www.CareyLight.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 20, 2009
GOOD GRIEF, PEOPLE!!!!!

Prices are still dropping because this is JULY 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't you love how good marketing questions on Trulia never die.

OK, let's jump ahead 2 more years since my last answer. Prices in Lake Nona are up big time in the past year. Under $200,000 has disappeared (as opposed to plenty in the 160's not all that long ago).
Heck YES! Now is a super time to buy in Lake Nona and all of the Orlando area. Interest rates are the lowest they have been in a very long time! Are looking to move or invest in a home located in Lake Nona? Be prepared-- it is such an active area there is often multiple offers on properties and potential buyers are asked to place their highest and best offer, often going way above list price.
Let me know if I may email you some proeprties in the lake nona area that meets your needs. thank you! susan.
Hello Mr. Lake Nona Buyer
First at all I will like, to encourage you to work with a Realtor that not only knows the area, but knows about the new developments,the subdivitions, the statistics etc.
You can find neighborhood information, statistics and search for listings in Lake Nona by going to my web page http://www.nonaforsale.com there you can find all the information you may need about Lake Nona and by signing for a market update you will get al statistics about lake nona you may need, and is FREE with no obligations.
Also, you can stop by anytime at our office, we are located in the Publix shopping center between Moss PArk and Narcoossee and ask for me or for me or for my partner Gabriela Lanza.
Lake Nona which is one of the areas projected to have the highest growth in the near years, the construction of the Nemours Center for Research, UCF Medical City, the VA Hospital and the Burnham Institute will bring to this areas potential renters and buyers, also the actual prices and inventory will be on the past soon, leaving you with a good investment in one of the fastest growing areas of Orlando
Please call or email me of you want to have a list of the actual properties for sale in Lake Nona.
It will be a pleasure to help you.
Thanks, Rick! And you are the Trulia expert...I still have much to learn! :)
Thank you for calling that to my attention, Greg! I am fairly new to the Trulia community and obviously navigating my way through the "Answer a Question" section. I now know to check WHEN the question was posed.

My answer, however, is based on current information, and it is DEFINITELY an INCREDIBLE time to buy in Lake Nona and Moss Park!

Warmly,
Carey Light
Thanks for the 1 year updates :)

For those finding this thread recently, question originially asked 2008
David,
Carey hit it right and she is the Nona Expert!
Realtor Rick
Buy before the elections. There is plenty of confusion in the market and that is creating opportunities for buyers. After the election, folks will begin to settle down....that sentiment also is being echoed by FL economists....see link and read the powerpoint reports 7/14/08. http://(www.fishkind.com) Central Florida will always be a draw because of weather, proximity to vacation amentities and access to transportation. The economist preparing this report suggests that things are only getting better for Central Florida (ie. we have reached the bottom) and therefore things will be heading up as we rolling into 2009/10. Buy now while the rates are good and there are plenty of homes to choose from. If you would like some assistance, please let me know.

Rick Tressler
TCAT Realty
407-421-3002
Web Reference: http://www.tcatrealty.com
David,
Good question,in fact one could ask that question about just about any area in the country. Lake Nona however is a rather new community and as such has had heavy investor activity ( as with many newer neighborhoods) during the boom.
That being said, Lake Nona has it share of foreclosures and that does have and adverse effect on housing prices.
Just for grins I ran a quick stat on single family homes upto 400K sold since the beginning of the year and found the selling price vs listing price ratio to be on average 96%
what does this mean? Prices are "Reasonably" stable. This was for single family homes with 3 beds and 2 baths. No specific sq footage,just a very basic query.
------------Bottom Line---BUY!!!-------------
Rick
LOL, What other answer can you expect to hear from real estate agents!

In reality, you are right, prices are still falling, and I see them continueing to do so (just not as quickly as of recent) for at least the next 6-12 months as foreclosures and pre-foreclosure properties work there way through the system. So in terms of purchase price, any time between now and 12 months from now will be the best time to buy.

However you seem to already be more informed than most other buyers, and you are taking into consideration interest rates. I have a great article from Time Magazine that spelled out the math quite well. It basically said that for every .5% interest rates go up, prices on homes must go down about 5% to equal the same monthly payment on a mortgage where the buyer put 20% down! Now interest rates have gone up about .5% in just the last month it seems, and while none of us has a crystal ball, I think it's safe to say interest rates are being pressured upward by inflation. So in terms of monthly payments, NOW or 1 month ago was the best time to buy!

I don't see how prices can fall much further than they have gotten, if we see another 5-10% drop in prices (especially in the lake nona area....I've sold 2 homes in there just recently with MUCH buyer interest in them all, as well as showed MANy houses to several buyers I'm working with in that area and avalon park) I'd be very surprised.
Web Reference: http://www.gregtraub.com
Every day is a GREAT day to purchase real estate if you are working with a good agent, deals can be made on the right property. http://www.lynn911.com
David, if you can get the right deal, and the right interest rate, it's a good time to buy anywhere right now. Here's a blog we just wrote on how long you should wait in the current market...
http://www.condometropolis.com/blog/index.php
Yes it is... a good time to buy.