Home Buying in SoHo>Question Details

Trulia New Y…, Other/Just Looking in New York

Is it a good idea to use the same realitor to sell one's current condo that they used to purchase their new single family home in the city?

Asked by Trulia New York, New York Mon Dec 3, 2012

Answers

20
Jenet Levy’s answer
This question was posed by Trulia staff, not an actual buyer/seller, and I know you guys (Trulia staff) are not in New York. It's posted under Home Buying in SoHo. My office is in SoHo and I highly doubt you bought a "new single family home" in SoHo (they don't exist). But to be more generic, which is what I think you are trying to put out there in asking if an agent that helped you buy a house should be used to sell your condo, let me put it this way. If you have a great doctor or accountant or attorney, you tend to stick with them right? And if you need something a little out of their realm of specialty, you'd ask them for a referral, right? Same with real estate. If your buyer's agent was terrific, and the condo you need to sell is in the geographic area the agent covers, of course use them. If it is in a different area, ask them to recommend someong really good. Stick with a known entity who has earned your trust and loyalty.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
Hi Janet- At Trulia we're testing various pieces of content within Trulia Voices. If you check out the city specific profiles, we are very transparent about who is behind those accounts and what kinds of questions we will be asking and answering. Overall these questions have met with great engagement and we've gotten positive responses from consumers about them. As always, we appreciate your feedback, please let me know if you have additional questions, community@trulia.com. Thanks, Trulia Staff
Flag Tue Dec 18, 2012
It depends on the location of the two properties and the areas that are serviced by the agent. Of course all agents want to keep their clients through all phases of their home buying and selling activities. Knowledge of the area and the market is important and we cannot have the required knowledge base for all areas. Another aspect for consideration is the experience of the agent in both buying representation and selling representation. Many agent do both aspects but some have more experience in one field - need to be sure that the agent has the experience necessary to sell your home. Good luck. James
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
You will be working with a realtor who already has a idea what your taste is and what you want in ahome and one that you know will do a good job for you.
Absolutely.but only if they did a good job when you were buying the first home.
Doesn"t matter ...Use a broker you trust and like...
Yes, it seems the Trulia staff is generating questions now. I can only think there are not enough people looking to purchase who are asking.

All the things you like about your broker will be the same regardless of if you use them for selling or purchasing.
It is an excellent idea to do so. This allows the Realtor to coordinate both deals and put things together for you smoothly.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 6, 2012
Well don't know why Trulia is asking this question but I see quite a few of them lately. Maybe they want to take our great answers to recreate new material Anyway, why not, if the agent did an excellent job with the sale of your home, why wouldn't you use them for the purchase of their new home. You know and trust and because of the prior relationship; they would have to represent you as a buyer's agent which is always the ideal way to go.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
Using the same broker to sell your home and purchase your new one, offers a great advantage in that your broker knows you, knows your likes and dislikes. You already trust your broker and have a great working relationship. There is no reason not to continue that. After all, they look out for your best interest.

And if you’re looking for a home in an area where your broker doesn’t work, you can trust your broker to find you a broker that they trust in your desired area.

By all means – no conflict – work with the same broker and look forward to purchasing a wonderful new home they helped you obtain!

Ross Ellis
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Halstead Property, LLC
Member of Real Estate Board of New York
212.317.7828 direct
770 Lexington Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10065
rellis@halstead.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
Some Realtors are better at one side of the deal than others. Selling a property is about MARKETING.

Make sure the Realtor is an expert MARKETER. The right place at the right price will go nowhere unless everyone knows about it.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
718-928-9580
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
No reason not to especially if you like the agent...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
that is the way it is usually done... of course, provided that you were happy with your realtor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
Absolutely no reason not to!! The ONLY reason you might not is because you weren't happy with the service. Otherwise it's simpler, more efficient and in many cases, just like killing 2 birds with one stone!
:-)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
I think the previous answers say it. If they did a good job for you and you like and trust them, and just as important if they have good knowledge and experience in the area you are moving to then yes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
There should be no reason why you shouldn't use the same person. You already have a great working relationship and trust built with the person. There is no conflict of interest.

What you will want to look out for is that this person should have the knowledge of working and navigating the new area you are looking to move to.

For instance, someone who does real estate in Yonkers or further upstate, will be ill equipped to service you in the Manhattan marketplace.

Despite our real estate licenses allowing us to do business in all of the state of NY, this does not mean that I am an expert in Queens when I only practice in Manhattan. I refer my clients out when I know I cannot offer them the level of expertise that they deserve.

Jennifer Chiongbian
SVP/ Associate Broker
Rutenberg Realty NYC
9172502284
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
If you think the realtor did a good job for you the first time, I would suggest you retain that person. If you have thoughts about this, interview a couple other realtors as well as the original realtor to see what they have to say about your proprety

Cindy Anish, Associate Broker, Bellmarc REalty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
Hi, As long as they have an understanding of that market, access to the local MLS, and the proper marketing skills then absolutely.

Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
Is it a good idea? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! I am currently assisting a friend in PA who insisted on using the same Realtor who sold her the house to market her house.

Selling agents and MARKETING agents are VERY DIFFERENT! Don't do it!!!!

Selling and Marketing are two separate industries and just because someone is in real estate, does not give them the inherent ability to market properly.
Yes, if you have a great agent, why would you want to not use them?
As long as the agent has access to the local MLS and an understanding of the area it's fine. Using the same agent can actually help with the negotiations and planning of the purchase and sale. They will be able to have first hand updates on the progress of both.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023