Home Buying in Shakopee>Question Details

I, Home Buyer in 55379

Is it a bad idea to buy a house next to elementary school? From house's backyard you can go to elementary school 's playground. How that?

Asked by I, 55379 Sat Jun 26, 2010

will effect Is it a bad idea to buy a house next to elementary school? From house's backyard you can go to elementary school 's playground. How that will effect on resale value of the house? Any advices?

Answers

7
Susan Hofflander’s answer
Lise makes the best point here. It's more important how YOU will feel about living in that location than any other factor. If you think it will bother YOU, then it might not be the best choice. Does it impact resale? Maybe. Some buyers might like that proximity to the school, others won't. I have not found that to be a significant deterrent to buyers, but it is a factor.
If it is currently a concern with you, and/or if you are questioning the negative aspects of living next to an elementary school, it will come up as a concern to other potential buyers (now and in the future) as well. The best advice I can give you is to make sure that you are getting the house for a good value. Have your agent (or an agent) run a market on the house and the n'hood, and hopefully you will be able to quantify the "school issue".

Best of luck!
I agree with the other answers that it could be viewed both positive (convenience) and negative (traffic/noise) and would appeal to different people, well, differently.
However,I would consider how much YOU would enjoy or use this feature and not worry so much about the resale (unless it's an obvious deterrent to the property). Rather, consider if it is a benefit to your family and does the situation also offer added benefits such as; playground nearby and piece of mind knowing your children can walk to school and not be on the road or waiting on the road, especially in winter or bad weather?
Have your agent do a CMA for the house by the school, and one that is similar away from the school, to see what today's values are. My guess is that it will be very close to the same, so you should not have a problem.
When considering purchasing a home in the close proximity to a school, one should consider that it is a "double edged sword" because its location can be considered both desirable and at times inconvenient.

Inconveniences may include: regular traffic increase, children noise, parking issues, busy sidewalks, occasional litter created by children, etc.

On the positive side the benefits may include: buyers with children wanting to live near a school, walking distance to school activities, increased police visibility, "Drug Free School Zone," possible use of school facilities, contact with the community etc.

From our perspective the pros out weigh the cons but this is an issue largely associated to "personal preference."
Some Buyers will find that delightful and convenient. The sound of happy children playing is hard to beat, but the constant bells and traffic can be downers. If people cut across your lawn on the way to school, that could be a problem. If you have kids, and they can just open the gate and be at school, that's lots better than waiting for the bus. A rule I have found to be consistent is that the Buyer of your home will love the same things about it that you love. So, go lurk there in the morning and afternoon and decide if you love it or not.

Doc
Web Reference: http://TellEllen.com
Hi I

You should be fine, since it is an elementary school, you should be fine, after it is younger kids who will be playing in the play ground.

Will it affect the price in the future somewhat, but not much. You will be getting a discount now
for the same issue.

If it was a middle or High, it would be recommended to pass.
It just maybe worth the convenience to you.

Best Regards
Perry
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com