Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

Painted Dese…, Real Estate Pro in Scottsdale, AZ

Is having a house right next to 94th street in DC Ranch area impacts price of the house? Are there any noise issues? Thanks

Asked by Painted Desert, Scottsdale, AZ Mon Dec 3, 2012

Answers

19
Yes there will be an impact. People who happily lived next to the el in Chicago don't seem to want to see or hear a car go by in Arizona. You will pay somewhat less and you will resell for somewhat less than your neighbor who does not back to the street. Knowing all this, if you love the house go for it just remember that your resale will be impacted and just because 94th isn't very busy now does not guarantee low traffic noise down the road.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
Painted Desert -

94th Street is a minor arterial that is only 2 miles long carrying neighborhood traffic. It will have some negative impact on the value of homes that back up to it, but not as much as a major arterial like Pima Road, Thompson Peak or Frank Lloyd Wright. Homes on the west side of 94th Street will most likely have nice views of the McDowell Mountains, which will partially offset the negative impact of 94th Street. As a Realtor specializing in North Scottsdale master planned communities, I would be happy to assist you with your real estate needs.

Rob Ryan
Gallery Collection
The Luxury Division of West USA Realty
602-828-1589
Hi Painted Desert-

I have personally lived in 4 homes in DC Ranch, one of which was in the area you are asking about. 94th Street has become increasingly busier as more and more DC Ranch residents use it to cut through the community to Bell Road.

If you are interested in purchasing a home in the area, I agree with some of the other agents who have recommended visiting the property at different times of day (rush hour, weekend, when school gets out) to see what you think of the noise. Also, as some of the agents have mentioned there is some airport noise from Scottsdale airpark. As far as value goes, homes on the outskirts of the communities within DC Ranch that side or back to busier streets typically sell for less than interior lots.

If you are looking for an agent who has experience in selling homes in DC Ranch and can help explain local market conditions, feel free to give me a call at 480.217.9184
Is there a specific home that you are interested in? I would be happy to show you the home if you would like to visit it in person!
'buffer' excuse the fat thumbs, as I'm on my mobile device!
My Personal home is on 95th st, adjacent to 94th. St. There is no noticeable noise from traffic (Pima rd or 101 Freeway) I have sold many homes in the surrounding area and no one to date has ever mentioned the location being a problem from traffic noise. The setback is a good distance from Pima Rd. With AJ's Market in between as a helpful beffer.

Cheers,
Michael Johnson
RE/MAX Fine Properties
http://www.85255Home.com
I know as and agent and as a homeowner, backing up to a street almost always affects the purchase price and the selling price. 94th street is not a very busy street however all streets have noise. If you love the house I would suggest visiting the home at different times of the day to see how much traffic noise you hear. Many homeowners put in pools with water features or fountains to help with the traffic noise this many be an option for you. I would also suggest having your agent pull up other properties in the subdivision that back to 94th and see what they are selling for. If you do not current have an agent I would be happy to do some research for you and send it. Let me know and good luck.

Jeanne Brandom
Kiva Fine Properties
480-612-1965
DC Ranch is a beautiful community and the area along 94th Street offers some stunning views if the homes are positioned properly on the lot. 94th is a neighborhood feeder so it will have traffic, but not as much as other roads I would consider busy roads like Pima. Take for example the multi-million dollar houses on the North side of Dynamite that have virtually unobstructed views of Pinnacle Peak and Troon Mountain. They deal with even more traffic noise, but the views far out weigh the noise in my opinion. Same can be said for 94th. I believe some other agents also pointed out the noise you will get from Scottsdale Airpark. Now if you have a Harley come up 94th you could hear that 3 blocks in from there, so you need to decide if the house is one you are in love with if you can handle the additional noise while enjoying your backyard. There will always be some buyers that will absolutely avoid those homes so be aware of that as well.

If you need any help, I or any of the other agents on here would be glad to lend you a hand.

Best of luck.

Howard Rudin
602-390-8088
WEST USA REALTY
From experience it will affect value and can upwards of $50,000 sometimes more and sometime less. 94th is not as busy as others but it will still have traffic noise and will absolutely affect value. There are some buyers who prefer backing or being located on a busy street so there is a possibility that when you go sell the home could fetch more depending on the buyers wants and if he wants or needs a busy street (Working out of home/business) then the location could benefit you. But yes it will affect value.

Juan Pesqueira
American Associates Real Estate
Homes | Condos | Investments
Spanish and English speaking Realtor
Realtor, Appraiser
8930 E. Raintree Drive Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Office 480-458-8007 | Fax 480.767.7200
email: pesqueira2@cox.net
Websites:
http://AZLuxuryHomeBlog.com/
http://www.TempeHomesCondos.com/
http://www.HomesScottsdaleFor.com/

Yes Dreams Come True, Let me Show You!
Painted Desert: this may be only a preceived impact on the value. It depends on the placement of the home along the street and if there is a 'buffer'. DC ranch is a sought after community, especially since it is designed well. IF you are interested in exploring that house, or others, contact me. I would like to show you around. Have a great week.
Amy Boenning
480-221-7040
http://www.amyboenning.com
http://www.facebook.com/realtymadesimple
If I'm right in guessing the area you are describing, that part of 94th St would not impact the price too much. It's not a real busy stretch of road. If you were backing up to Pima Rd, Thompson Peak Pkwy, or Legacy Blvd, then it would have a greater impact on the value.

Home price are negatively impacted by the amount of traffic and road noise from adjacent streets.

I would recommend visiting the area of interest during the rush hour times of day to see traffic at it's busiest times as well as when you would be wanting to spend time outside. The traffic noise may not be an issue for you, but everyone is different.

FYI, the DC Ranch area is subject to airplane and jet noise from the Scottsdale Airport. It's usually busiest during the Car Auctions and PGA Tour. This airport noise may be a nuisance to some people.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me anytime.

Kind regards,

James Wehner
West USA Realty
48O-323-5462
http://www.jameswehner.com
As you can tell from the answers, it is totally subjective. You need to visit the home at various times during the day, and do not forget Scottsdale is very seasonal. Traffic increases in the winter.
Dear Painted Desert:

94th street is not that busy of a road, so it should not impact your price.

Hope this helps.

Terry S. Smith
Az resident for 46 years.
Grew up in Scottsdale, AZ
Rain Dance Realty
(602) 763-1858
http://www.RainDanceRealty.com
Depending on the section of 94th St in DC Ranch the price will be affected. This is something your Realtor can go over in further detail with you.
If you are not currently working with a Realtor I would welcome the opportunity to help you. Please feel free to contact me at you convenience.

Jeff Crane
HomeSmart
480-276-7991
jeff@justlistedsearch.com
http://www.justlistedsearch.com
There will be some light traffic noise, but usually not enough to make a huge impact on pricing. Everyone's idea of "traffic noise" can be different. Obviously the best way is to go check out a couple of homes in that specific location and see how you feel.
Let me know if you would like to do that, it would not be a problem.
Bib Dickinson
RE/MAX Excalibur
602-527-8086
Homes neighboring a collector street such as 94th Street in Scottsdale's DC Ranch are impacted by the potential noise and disruptions whether real or perceived. Most of the homes in DC Ranch have a nice desert landscape buffer to lessen the impact. There will still be a negative impact on value because some potential buyers will eliminate it from their search and other's will expect a discount. For many other buyers it will allow them to get more home for their dollar when accepting the small disruptions from the nearby road. I hope this helps - it is very difficult to estimate the dollar amount of impact without knowing the property and even then it is difficult. It may be very minor or somewhat more substantial.
94th isn't as loud as Legacy, but backing to any road can affect value. Noise issues are very relative. It absolutely does not bother some, while it's a deal breaker for others. It all depends on if it matters to you. No matter how nice the property is, you will lessen your buying audience by having a house backing to a road as some will eliminate the property from their search just for that reason. That's something you need to consider for your end game.
It really depends on the lot located and vicinity to 94th ST. Generally homes backing to a busy road with traffic noise does impact the price of the house. DC Ranch is a sought after community so some buyers may not care about the street and just want to be in DC Ranch. 94TH ST is more of pass through street (community to community) that really isn't that busy anyways.
You definitely will hear some traffic off of 94th St. Homes on busy streets will sell for less than those within the community. Usually you don't hear that much noise in the home, it's more when you are outside. 94th is busy, but not the same as backing to Pima Rd which gets a lot more traffic. Some people don't mind the traffic and this gives them an opportunity to live in a community they normally would not be able to afford.

Hope that helps
Lorrie