Home Buying in Albuquerque>Question Details

Matt, Home Buyer in Albuquerque Meadows,...

Is getting an FHA loan on a short sale a problem?

Asked by Matt, Albuquerque Meadows, Albuquerque, NM Mon Oct 24, 2011

Answers

3
Matt: Not at all. If the underlying loan is FHA, there may in fact be advantages.
Web Reference: http://www.judypierson.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 12, 2011
Hi Matt,
I have not found this to be a problem. I am in the process of working one right now. The appraisal on an FHA loan is a little more demanding. The appraiser needs to check all the mechanicals -- furnace, cooling, hot water heater, appliances.

This may be an issue with Short Sales as sometimes the gas, water, electricity has been turned off because the seller can't afford to pay them. So, the realtor will want to make certain that all utilities have been turned back on and the FHA appraiser has access to inspecting them.

Also, in most cases, the FHA has higher requirements for the condition of the home. There cannot be extensive repairs needed unless they are corrected prior to closing. In allmost all short sales, the bank selling short will not pay for any repairs. The seller, because they are in a short sale situation has no money for repairs either. So, the buyer would need to pay for the repairs prior to purchase if the FHA required it.

I would check with your lender regarding the specifics of the FHA requirements for condition of the home.

I enjoy working short sales. Please call or email if I can be of additional assistance -- as always pamelarocks@comcast.net.

Pamela Heater
Signature Southwest Properties
Albuquerque, NM
505-710.0021
pamelarocks@comcast.net
Hi Matt,
As a short sale expert I can tell you that a short sale is no different than any transaction except for the fact that you need to have the seller's mortgage approval to sell the home for less than what the homeowner owes on the home.
The financing for the buyer can be any type of loan. There are times when a buyer would not be able to use an FHA loan product on a short sale and that would be in the event the property is in need of repair that would hinder it from passing an FHA appraisal or if your lender has specified repairs as a condition of financing.
I can provide you with an excellent resource for financing type inquiries if you would like.
I can be contacted directly at 505-362-3667 text or call. Also by email at MonaRomero@REMAX.net In addition you can follow this link to tons of short sale information and resources.
Best of Luck!
MONA