Home Buying in Oldsmar>Question Details

Beachlover, Home Buyer in Oldsmar, FL

Is flood insurance required to live in Oldsmar?

Asked by Beachlover, Oldsmar, FL Thu Jan 19, 2012

Answers

6
Pam Cohn-Broker Associate’s answer
Beachlover,

If you have a mortgage and fema has determined the property to be in a flood zone (any AE elevation) then yes flood insurance will be required.

You can go to the website and check out addresses:

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/flooding_flood_ri…

or check with an insurance agent. Depending on your location and the lot elevation you may want to consider flood insurance whether required or not. Many policies (not on the water) have reasonable rates.

I feel an informed client makes the best decisions regarding their real estate needs. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Pam Cohn
Broker Associate, GRI, SFR, NHS
Real Estate Consulting, Marketing & Sales
Prudential Tropical Realty
2539 Countryside Blvd #3 Clearwater, FL 33761
pcohn@prutropical.com
727-204-7155
Flood insurance is determined by the 100 year flood plane & the elevation of the property in question. It's a good idea to carry flood insurance even if it is not required by your lender.
As others have said, yes and no. It depends on where in Oldsmar, sometime adjacent homes will have different requirements. However, flood insurance is relatively cheap when compared to the price of regular homeowners insurance and or sinkhole insurance. I would recommend carrying it just for the security. An insurance agent can better help you if you have a specific property address for which you want an insurance quote.
Beachlover,

Usually your realtor can look up a particular address or you can on the fema website or assessors office, but the best thing to do is to have an insurance agent check the address to be sure. Some areas in Oldsmar do and many other do not. Are you currently looking for a home or just browsing on line for now? I have a free service called “Listingbook”, which I provide for my clients. It is like a back door into the MLS, which updates daily: new listings, price changes, solds & withdrawn listings, allowing you to really be able to follow and learn the market. I set up a basic search according to your guidelines. Once you are in, you can change the parameters as you need. If this is something you would be interested in let me know & I would be glad to set up your free Listingbook Account.

Since you live in the Tampa Bay area, I also have a free automated service called CITY (Curbside Info to You) available 24/7. I issue you a number you can call on ANY Real Estate For Sale sign and a computer reads the MLS information to you from the street address for all ACTIVE MLS listings. If this would be helpful let me know. I just need your cell phone and an email to register it. Once it is registered you won't get annoying follow up calls. If you want to talk to me there is a prompt or you can call me on my cell. If you want to put it on multiple phones, I can put up to three numbers on one user name. Just send the numbers you want added. I will email you the number you call in on and get the information. Put it in your favorites for quick access when you are driving around. I use it all the time.

Pam Cohn
Broker Associate, GRI, SFR, NHS
Prudential Tropical Realty
pcohn@prutropical.com
727-204-7155
Not in all parts of Oldsmar. I would check with your insurance company or the FEMA website to see if a particular home is in a Flood Zone or not.

Bill Szydlowski
Web Reference: http://www.tampamyhome.com