Home Buying in Sandy>Question Details

uhsarp, Home Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT

Is buying property close to a light rail track affect resale value in Sandy? There is just one house separatinthe tracks and the house I'm interested.

Asked by uhsarp, Salt Lake City, UT Mon Nov 18, 2013

Answers

4
I would say there is a smaller buyer pool for houses near noise, so that usually brings the price down a bit. Have your realtor check on that for you, if you don't have one, I recommend using one. Good luck in your search. If you need help give one of us realtors a ring.
Sean MacLeod
Keller Williams
801-205-8581
The blunt answer is YES, it does affect resale value. TRAX generates noise. Buyers don't like noise.

If you buy a home near a source of noise, you need to buy it for a discount. What sort of discount depends on how obnoxious the noise is. And then some day you will sell the property, and you will have to sell for a discount.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 14, 2013
I would say that the tracks would not affect the value of the home but would make it harder to sell on the resale. You only have 1 first impression with buyers and the first showings on your property are your best chance of selling the home for top dollar. If the light rail track system is a concern for you, most likely it will be a concern for the next buyers. There are so many homes out there that won't have this problem, I would just keep looking with an open mind. Hope this helps uhsarp
This is a great question you should be asking your agent. If you are not represented, you should be. It costs you nothing and can save you money. I am a local Broker in Sandy having sold two homes in that neighborhood this year. As an Accredited Buyers Agent (ABR® designation), I am specifically trained to assist Buyers, including the assessment of long term values in homes, expert negotiation, working with contracts, resourcing finance, inspectors, appraisers, escrow and title. Give me a call.

Michael Hoffee
Principal Broker
Wasatch Mountain Realty
(801) 571-5001