Lynn Gilbert, Renter in Ann Arbor, MI

Is basement space counted in square footage?

Asked by Lynn Gilbert, Ann Arbor, MI Sun Jan 20, 2013

does it depend on how much the basement is finished? or whether it is heated?

Some areas do and some don't. We don't have basements here where I live but when I was in Virginia we did and they were added in the sq footage if finished and heated. An appraiser will add the space but give it a lower value per sq foot than finished space above ground.
I just asked my agent this earlier this week - if listed correctly no. So if you see a home you like but is a little on the smaller end don't forget about the basement opportunities! It has opened a whole new market for me and my husband.
In some parts of California we do count basements as square footage.

Best regards
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
Finished basements do not cound in square footage. The criteria fo rit to meet to be counted pretty much outlines the space not be a basement but be above ground. It does add to value, just not square footage
In our market the basement square footage should be listed separately if listed correctly, there is a separate area to list below grade square footage, so no, it is not included if done this way.
In order for the space to be counted as living space the area must finished and heated. When listing a home for sale in NY, we do not count the basement in the square footage.