Toni, Both Buyer and Seller in 75206

Is anyone familiar with South Tampa?

Asked by Toni, 75206 Thu May 29, 2008

We're considering a move to Tampa and i want to find out if South Tampa would be a good fit for us. We have 2 kids and want a kid friendly neighorhood but would love to stay out of the suburbs. We can do private schools if we need to - I'm more concerned about having a good number of kids on my street and a good community. I'm hoping to have fewer play dates and more kids next door. Whats the real deal with South Tampa?

Answers

21
Thanks for the update Gary. Realty Trac, what do they know, right? You sound like you need a vacation. Renting is the best advice I can give to save your military buddies from disaster. It is intelligent and responsible. Good Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 15, 2008
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 15, 2008
8/15/2008
11,776 houses for sale
5,269 foreclosures
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 15, 2008
Toni
South Tampa is a very mixed bag. You have neighborhoods / streets there that have had old people where their children have been grown for many years, sometimes they then move or sell to a newer generation... so it is a mixed bag. Sounds like you are looking for a specific street with plenty of kids...

Best suggestion is to check out the area well when you are here (or have your agent do this for you), Saturday morning / later afternoons and right after school is out is a great time to drive through a neighborhood and see what it is like, and how many "kids" are around.

Also you said you wanted out of the suburbs, Suburbs are commonly defined as residential areas on the outskirts of a city or large town. Most things are not within Walking Distance.
You are definately not in suburbia in South Tampa.

Does this answer you question?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 12, 2008
Hi Toni

Personally I love south tampa. I currently live on Davis Island here we have our own dog park, marina and beach. I would recommend looking in South Tampa. The farmers market is great, friendly neighbors, plus a tight knit community. Plus being right by bayshore you and your kids can go for runs, bike rides, and even learn how to sail.

Personally I am a senior loan officer for Residential Finance. Please let me know if I can help you in anyway whether it be finding you a realtor, financing, or just showing you the community.

813-316-2172
Best of Luck!
Hello Toni, good afternoon!

If you are in need of financing for your new home, please feel free to give me a call. We specialize in 7-10 Day Clear to Close times and can provide you an approval on your loan within 24-48 hours of you sending the necessary documents.

Feel free to check us out at http://www.movementmortgage.com

I look forward to your call!

Antonio Barnett
Senior Loan Officer
Cell: 813.922.1472
Fax: 813.579.5247
Antonio.Barnett@MovementMortgage.com
http://www.movementmortgage.com/antonio.barnett
http://www.facebook.com/AntonioBarnettLoans
2701 N Rocky Point Dr, Tampa, FL 33607
NMLS# 287888
Toni,

South Tampa is a great place for your children as the schools are A rated. There are many festivals and activities throughout the year that I'm sure your family would enjoy. The Hyde Park festivals in the Circle, Gasparilla Children's Parade, MOSI and the Aquarium to name a few. The best way to get a feel for the neighborhoods is to drive around on the weekends when people are out and about and see if it feels like an area you could call home.
I am extremely familiar with South Tampa - lived here for about 15 years in various locations.

In certain neighborhoods, private school, while still your choice, will likely be unnecessary as some parts of South Tampa have great schools. Plant High is rated in the top 100 in the country.

South Tampa is really comprised of many areas or communities. Some older, some with younger families. Whether other children will be living on a block (or around the corner) is going to vary by area and even block-to-block. I can recommend Davis Islands, where I currently live. There are many younger families living on many of the streets, so that may be a good bet - depending upon your housing needs/budgets.

If there is anything I can do, including a free search of properties for you, please let me know. I can be reached at: 813-944-3115.

Kindest regards,
Bruce Bernstein
Pretty Dog Realty

Please visit my web site: http://www.prettydogrealty.com for more info.
Renting is not a bad idea. Especially when you first move here. I am born and raised in South Tampa. I wouldn't live anywhere else. It is where the most life is to be found.
Actually it is from Realty Trac which has been shown to be less than factual. I'm very happy for you in your constant pursuit of misery. Everyone has to be good at something, and well, you are....It is like winning the contest for losers....but when you are able to bring something that is both intelligent and responsible to the table, I might once again respond. Until then, I have work and well, you have to that cheque to cash.

Good day.
Interesting numbers. Completely false, but interesting.
I am thinking about giving you best answer for the hearty laugh....but then, it wouldn't be fair. You probably haven't laughed in years.

Such a shame too, I remember back when you were just a young poster, posting under a different name. Well, I'll ask Emily to look at your IP address and see what can be done. Anyway, have a nice day...it is the 15th and I'm sure that means some form of handout cheque is in your mailbox.

Gary De Pury
Broker~Owner
Bay Vista Realty
Tampa, Florida
Chairman, Communications Committee
Greater Tampa Association of REALTORS
Director, Florida Association of REALTORS
Toni,
I grew up in South Tampa, and lived here until recently. I only moved because I wanted more for my children. I love South Tampa and until about 25 I thought the world was flat and ended at Kennedy BLVD. But as the population aged in my specific neighborhood, I decided to make the move.

Do I regret it.....? Well, I miss my friends and being so close to the beach. I miss being 15 minutes from the marina and I miss a 5 minute drive to my office, (and I certainly miss sub 200.00 gasoline bills) but my kids have tons of friends and when I do arrive at home they are all outside, playing in the huge yards and having the same childhood that I remember as a sapling.

Is that available in South Tampa.....? Well, HUD says I can't tell you. I cannot tell you that one block has more or less kids than another, what I can tell you is that TRULIA has a fantastic research tab at the top. Stats and Trends. Look there. Then try http://www.ZipSkinny.com for more stats by zip code.

I lived in South Tampa for 38 years, still work here every day and still own property here. In the infamous words of General Douglass Macarthur..."I SHALL RETURN" but not for a while.

I hope this helps !

Gary De Pury
Broker~Owner
Bay Vista Realty
Tampa, Florida
Chairman, Communications Committee
Greater Tampa Association of REALTORS
Toni,

I think the best answer to your question, to avoid any one personal opinion, would be to do a simple google search for "South Tampa Demographics". I did it my self, in advance of answering your question, to make sure credible resources populated to provide you with only the best, and most accurate information.

And, what you are hearing is absolutely correct! South Tampa is home to one of the best high school districts in the nation, winning the blue ribbon award for top 25 high schools in the country.

I personally love South Tampa because it has all the urban convenience and ambiance, with a smaller village appeal!

I would love to show you all the highlights South Tampa has to offer...after all, it's my neighborhood!

Brian Russell
"Uncompromising Excellence in Service"
Keller Williams South Tampa
http://Www.TampaHomeWiz.com
(813) 875-3700 ext 288
Web Reference: http://www.tampahomewiz.com
Hi Toni,

Have you decided on a Realtor or are you still gathering information on the area?

Nathan Pawelkop
Dear Toni:

Welcome to Tampa, We have a beautiful 4/3 with two car garage in South Tampa. The house is child friendly--Semi-Gloss--through out. My Icon is a picture of the house. Please e-mail me if you would like some additional information.

A. J. Sanchez
Toni,
What has caught your attention to South Tampa? Close to downtown or MacDill Air Force Base? New Tampa(north) and south Pasco county have many new/newer communities that offer alot of ammenities like community pool, clubhouse, basketball courts, etc for families and kids. In your search view 33647, 33543,33559,34639,34638. Pasco taxes are also cheaper than Hillsborough(Tampa).

Just a thought. Feel free to contact me for more info or with any questions you may have. :0)

Robin Landis, Realtor
ERA Dennis Realty
813-997-3218-cell
Rlandis@ERADennis.com
http://www.HomeDealsTampaBay.com
Toni,
This just showed up...Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:40 PM EDT

Forsythe Appraisals: South Tampa areas show rise in value.
Tampa Bay Business Journal
A large independent provider of residential real estate appraisals says some Florida neighborhoods are increasing in value, despite statewide averages indicating a drop in home sales prices of 15 to 20 percent.
The South Tampa market, for instance, has seen luxury waterfront and inland properties in Beach Park, Palma Ceia and Hyde Park rise between 5 percent and 8 percent in the past year, a release from Forsythe Appraisals LLC, based in St. Paul, Minn. said.
Forsythe has branch offices in Tampa, Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville and West Palm Beach.

Forsythe Appraisals was founded in 1940 and currently operates 37 branch offices nationwide, serving 19 states.
© American City Business Journals Inc. All rights reserved.
Toni......... we share the same, almost, name.
if you're looking for kid neighborhood friendly, look no further than S. Tampa where the price keep most of its value.
All foreclosure, and troubled house are due to the economics, rather than the bubble..........
either 33609,33629,33611 and the last to be the best bang for the bucks, are an easy commute to the Airport, Stadium, St. Pete, Brandon trough, I-275, Crosstown etc.......
You've happen to have found the "Specialist", please check my site for foreclosure and fixxer-up and contact me for Bank owned properties; don't hesitate to ask me "happy" customer references, and see thsoe zip codes school and city reports on my site.
You'll be the judge...... contact me for a free report!
Web Reference: http://www.hothomespot.com
Toni,

I've been a REALTOR in South Tampa for 18 years. I'm with Prudential Tropical Realty. When you look for homes on Trulia or REALTOR.com, search 33629, 33606, and 33609. This is the Plant School District; one of the best public school districts in America. Everything one needs is within just a few miles, the airport TPA, downtown, the best malls, Tampa General Hospital, a level one trauma center.

You will not get as much house for the dollar as you get in Dallas. You pay more to live in S. Tampa but you will get it back when it cames time to sell.

Please call me at 813-784-2702 cell or e-mail at ialvarez@prutropical.com
I love showing the neighborhoods of Tampa, they are beautiful!

Ines Alvarez
Prudential Tropical Realty
1529 S. Dale Mabry Hwy
Tampa, FL 33629
Hi Toni,

I am a Tampa native. Born and raised in South Tampa to be exact. I currently live in the Palma Ceia area. Can you tell me a little more about your expectations. What is your price range? Is there a certain style home you are looking for? There are plenty of homes to look at and all are in great school zones. What grade are your children in? South Tampa has some of the best schools around.
It would be my pleasure to help you find a home or just answer any other questions you have. I can be reached through my site listed below.
I have lived and worked in South Tampa for a very long time... It's a great area and it NOT a suburban, subdivision in the way most are built today. It was developed over many years with different neighborhoods and homes within them. Some areas are newer and some very old. As far as the kids go... some streets have lots of kids, as the properties have 'turned over' - long time residents have sold to younger couples with kids, and some don't. Play dates may still be a factor, depending upon where you choose to live. Davis Islands, where we live, is a group of man-made, small islands just 5 minutes from downtown Tampa, Tampa General Hospital, and tons of stuff to do. There are lots of kids on the Islands and, in all likelihood, they will have the community feel you are looking for. It's a great area - we love it. On our street, there are many kids out playing all the time. Also, Davis Islands is in the Plant High School district, which includes Gorrie Elementary, Wilson Middle, and Plant High Schools. All these schools are considered to be among the best in Tampa, and Plant is one of the top 100 High Schools in the country, with great academic and athletic ratings.

If I can help you in any way, or If you have any questions, please feel free to visit my web site: http://www.PrettyDogRealty.com, or contact me by email or phone. Good luck!