Home Buying in Anaheim>Question Details

Anurag, Home Buyer in Hemet, CA

Is anaheim a good place to live?

Asked by Anurag, Hemet, CA Thu Mar 6, 2008

Answers

17
Anurag, I live in Anaheim and have for the past 36 years. I can tell you, its not the same Anaheim I grew up in. Things have certainly changed in many areas and not necessarily for the better. Is Anaheim right for you? That is a question that can only be answered by you. There are good pockets and bad pockets of the city. The benefit of Anaheim is we have our own electric and water company which allows our utility bill to be a little less than other cities. The property tax rate is also a modest 1.14% or so. Another benefit is that prices have really declined, so you should be able to get a nice property for a great price. If you want more specifics, feel free to contact me. I can tell you which areas to avoid. Good luck with whatever you decide.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 18, 2008
Which areas would you avoid Patrick? I may be moving there in January/February of 2014.
Flag Tue Oct 1, 2013
I would say no, Anaheim is not a good place to live. Terrible traffic, terrible smog, millions of tourists going to Disneyland and very high crime.

I would stay within 1 mile of the beach. Anywhere else is very, very bad.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2008
I live in Anaheim not Monroe.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013
If you are hispanic, enjoy a lot of people and like a hectic lifestyle oh yes very high rent then you'd do fine. Funny thing I want to move to Hemet right near Idyllwild.
This all depends on what you are looking for and what you consider good. Are you looking for good schools, entertainment, restaurants, parks or something else? Are you a sports fan and want to be close to the Angels and the Ducks? Are you looking for a planned community? Are your sights set on a new home or a vintage home with character? All these questions lead to different answers.
I have to agree that Anaheim is "an entertainment mecca". It's really in the center of it all, especially if you live near Katella, Ball, or Lincoln. I love my place in anaheim, I live in an older section of town that's gone through quite a bit of remodeling in the past and all the trees nearby are outstanding and the apartments are pretty nice, and although there are certainly safer places to live, if you're smart you shouldn't have any problems. I find it's a very fulfilling, fun place to live, especially if you like theme parks, sports, entertainment and clubs of every kind, etc... I mean I really do like SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of it all, and for me that's great.
I live in Anaheim and I would say the area is okay. It's not great but it's not that bad either. I am, however, getting tired of traffic in the morning as I work in Santa Ana and have to spend 40-45 minutes driving locally ONE way to and from work. If you work around the area, than I would suggest you find a place that is close enough to minimize commuting.

If you find a property, drive around the area in different times. Look at the surroundings and the people who hang around that place.

No to Buena Park....Anaheim is dicey. Fullerton and Brea are much better.
I think people are being a little hard on Anaheim. I am not originally from Orange County, and I appreciate the appeal of older neighborhoods, including some parts of Anaheim. South County may be newer, but that doesn't automatically make it better. I definitely disagree with the person who said anything not within a mile of the beach is "very, very" bad. I have family in Anaheim and Buena Park, and there are some unsavory parts of both cities. However, Anaheim is in the process of sort of making itself over, and some of the old neighborhoods have beautiful craftsman style homes that are being refurbished to their original charm. Tour the areas of the homes you are looking at for yourself and see how you feel. Talk to the police department and get crime rates and information on any active gangs. Do a little research and trust your instincts. You never know, you may find a great deal in a neighborhood that will become as popular as Downtown Fullerton is becoming and you could make some money on your property!
Anurag,

These realtors will tell you anything. Jim is exactly right. Anaheim is also referred to some in OC as Anacrime. Stay away from Anaheim. Anaheim Hills, Orange or Tustin, EAST of the 5 freeway, is nice if you want to be around the area or NORTH Fullerton and Brea. Otherwise, stick with South County.
Hello Anurag.........

My brother-in-law is a REMAX agent who works and LIVES in 90620........if you want straight answers give me a call.

My wife.....spent 30 years of her life in 90620......and we spend much time with our neices and family there.

Call me!

714-365-6135

SEARCH FOR PROPERTIES ONLINE YOURSELF @
http://www.officialochomesearch.com
Is buena park 90620 a better place ( I mean crime rate and schools). I know I can get the information online but I would rather believe on someone living in Buena Park
I love Anaheim Hills but dislike the suburban decay of certain parts of Anaheim proper. I'd raise a family in the 'Hills, but not in 92804 and the surrounding areas.
Web Reference: http://www.condostorela.com
Hi Anurag!

I have lived in Anaheim for over 24 years and I love it!

There are 2 distinct parts to Anaheim....Anaheim proper and Anaheim Hills.....Anaheim was originally founded by German vinters/winemakers in the 1800s.....with Mickey Mouse taking the baton in 1955 and running with it.

The part of Anaheim in zip codes 92801-92806 are the older parts of Anaheim built out beginning after WW2 and if filled with traditional ranch style houses....some good areas and some areas plagued by urban decay ...typical of a city 150 years old

Anaheim Hills in 92807 and 92808 are the newer sections of Anaheim ...where building began in 1973 and continues today..... is more upscale, contemporary and masterplanned....and pricey.

The utilities in Anaheim...both water and power are city owned and rates are among the lowest in OC....almost exempt from the rate fluctuations of private utility companies........

As for recreational opportunities this is an entertainment mecca......know worldwide...from Disneyland....to World Champion Angels and Ducks.....to unlimited choices for dining and shopping.....you'll have all the choices you want.

Diversity is the strength and backbone of Anaheim....Everyone is welcome.....

I'd be honored to help you achieve homeownership in Anaheim and assist you in building a business to get you there successfully!

SEARCH FOR AVAILABLE PROPERTIES ONLINE YOURSELF:
http://www.officialochomesearch.com

I'd love to schedule a tour of any property you see online!

Kurt Steinhebel ** Century 21 Orange County ** 714-365-6135
I always feel that to find whether a place is good to live is very subjective. It has recreation, professional sports teams, a general hospital. It is 20 minutes from the beach. To get all the stats on Anaheim please check out the web site
This gives great info on the city
This is such a general question, that all I can say is "Yes." You are welcome to search for homes on my website anytime.

Joe Homs
949-394-0149
Web Reference: http://www.joehoms.com