Home Buying in East Point>Question Details

Oceans11, Home Buyer in East Point, GA

Is adding 2nd bathroom to a 3BR/1Bath home in Eastpoint an easy process? Are there any permits needed other than DIY or getting tradesmen to do it?

Asked by Oceans11, East Point, GA Wed Jul 13, 2011

Answers

8
cost depends on whether you are converting existing square footage into a bath or doing an addition to add a bath. Either way, you need a permit. You will be doing plumbing, electrical, and hvac work, so don't you want it inspected? I know everyone complains about the process and run around the city gives, but when you go to sell, the disclosure statement asks if there was any work that was not permitted, so you will have to disclose and this work will be more closely scrutinized. In addition to city inspection, you may want a private inspector to check the work. There are some great local contractors. ask on neighborhood facebook pages and message boards.
Servicemagic . Com no space they have a very tough screening process and you can get matched to liscensed proffesionals in what your looking for. I got a few quotes on work I need done ona home I am purchasing. If we aren't supposed to recommend a webpage here I'm sorry but I have had great success with them and was referred by a friend who uses them all the time
Thanks, I understand best is to get 3 quotes.
Perhaps I should've phrased my query in another way; I'm just trying to ascertain whats involved?
Like in would it be $3k, $6k, $10k or more for something like this?

Just trying to have some grasp of it.......
Nobody will really know here and any number thrown out will be way off. We're in the real estate field. But get 3 bids at minimum and get references for sure. Then compare all, and choose.
Thanks to all for the answers.

Just as a general rule of thumb, what ballpark cost will adding a 2nd bathroom cost?
eg. a shower and a WC. This is to a unused lower level area of a house.

Thanks.
The process is straight-forward, and yes you'd need permits. You might want to reach out to some of the investors in your area to get a better idea.
if you don't get permits, then it won't be in the tax records. You will have a hard time selling the home later down the road. Just do the job right, get the permits and a real contractor licensed by the state your in. Don't cut corners on cost. If you are going to do it, do it the right way the first time. Sure it will cost you more money, but then again, think about the money it will cost you if you screw things up the first time..
In construction nothing is easy, you always have unforeseen issues. Yes permits will be required. Insure all contractors are licensed if not you will pay for it later.