Home Buying in Rexford>Question Details

jj123, Home Buyer in 12065

Is a 40 year old buried oil tank 20 feet from a well a problem? •MLS/Source ID: 201319006

Asked by jj123, 12065 Wed Oct 16, 2013

•MLS/Source ID: 201319006 Rexford NY property on sunset street. Lawn smells like heating fuel

Answers

8
Don and Leslie are providing advise you must not take lightly.
You do not disclose your resources, experience, skill or capabilities. If you are totally unaware of what you are getting into, refer to Don's respoonse.
-
If you are aware of the situation and the price is proper for the costs you will certainly incurr, make sure you have an exit strategy and have the resources to address the vacating and decontamination that may be required.
-
I have yet to read a queston on Trulia for which the poster did not already know the answer.
Do you think a buried oil tand 20 feet from a wall is a problem?

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Move to the FRONT OF THE LINE (http://FirstLookHomes.us)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 31, 2013
I'm an environmental engineer. Couldn't be worse. This will cost you $10k-20k, or more to clean up... and the well is VERY LIKELY contaminated with oil components, which are cancerous to drink!!
jj123,
I live in Clifton park and relocated from Rexford, So, I am very familiar with the area, etc.
I just looked at the property disclosure and docs on line.
Give me a call and I will give you the information that I have...
Please contact me if you are moving forward with this one or I can help you in the area...
Dennis
518-649-2507
Call or text
( PS, As of today, this house is listed as BOM , back on market)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 13, 2013
This is a BIG problem that needs to be resolved right away. Not only does the tank need to be removed but testing needs to be done to make sure there is no contamination. If it ends up contaminating a public water source or neighboring property the liability alone is enough to bankrupt you.
AS my dad always said, A house without water, is a place you can not live!
Leslie Rafaniello
Associate Broker
Yes, this is a major issue. You need to consult several experts as to clean up costs and get information and estimates on clean up.
This could prove to be a very costly problem.
Leslie Warner-Rafaniello
Associate Broker
Hi jj123,

This is really a question for an inspector or an engineer. Once a purchase offer has been accepted, the buyer has the right to perform inspections on the property, which could include researching the water tank/oil tank question. Obviously a buyer would want to be sure there are no leaks.

If you are interested in the property, I'd be happy to schedule a showing for you. I work everyday from 8am to 8pm and could arrange it at your earliest convenience. My office is based out of Rexford, so I know the area well. Remember that a buyer's representative works at no cost to the buyer. I would be paid by the seller's closing costs.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Feel free to email, call or text me.

~Tori Romeo
NYS Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Certified Buyer Representative
Bliss Properties of NY
tori@blisspropertiesofny.com
If the lawn smells like heating fuel, that's a problem. It suggests that the tank is leaking. And the costs to clean that up are ENORMOUS...even if it weren't just 20 feet from a well.

I wouldn't touch it.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA