Goldblum, Home Buyer in Crocker Highlands, O...

Is a well-kept and updated 3 bdrm house in CH a good buy in mid-700's in the long run? House is listed as a 4 bdrm but one bdrm has no closet.

Asked by Goldblum, Crocker Highlands, Oakland, CA Wed Jul 6, 2011

Answers

7
Hi Goldblum,

Lots of good answers here from local realtors. We're all saying a lot of the same things, so you're getting quality here!

It is commonly believed a room must have a closet to be considered a bedroom. And some appraisers will insist on this being a requirement (though the appraisers can be challenged if it can be shown a room is a legal bedroom without a closet). A closet can always be built. A bedroom has to be a minimum size, have certain window/ventilation requirements, and another bedroom cannot be the only route to it. "Public Records" pulls info from the County. The County pulls it's records from The City of Oakland, in this case.. When a house is built or remodeled, the Building Permits are taken out with the City. When the permits are finalized, the County receives notice of this, and the property description (number of bedrooms etc.) will reflect the change. Also, property taxes will go up according to the new improved value (determined by the County). If someone does not take out permits for say an extra bedroom.. that is where problems develop. If permits are not taken out, the seller has to disclose this, and it is the buyer's job to determine the liability being transferred. The home insurance you obtain could be affected too. I would contact the City of Oakland Buidling Dept.. check the permit history and other records: Community and Economic Development Agency, "CEDA" http://www.oaklandnet.com 510-238-3443 Crocker Highlands holds its value better than a lot of areas of Oakland, but it still has some blocks that are less desireable than others.
There are a lot of factors that go in to arriving at an opinion of fair market valuation for any property. Even identical units in a new condo development can have different values depending on such features as orientation to the sun, proximity to the elevator, etc. A good Realtor will also help you add the dimension of your personal values to the equation. Yes, your home is an investment, but first of all it is your home. The subjective factor cannot be ignored or you will buy a home that someone thinks you "should" buy, rather than the one you love. Both issues require thorough examination with a sensitive and knowledgeable agent. I am the sales manager and Red Oak Realty and I have a colleague, Kate Tanake, who lives in CH and who would be glad to help you make this big decision. Please contact me for an introduction.

ARTHUR G. WHITE, SRES, LL.B.
Sales Manager Red Oak Realty
Broker Associate and Realtor®
Cal. DRE Lic. #01273793
http://www.artwhite.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 6, 2011
The value of a house is very dependant on several things and I give you some here: Area, location ( street, etc) situation ( of property on location), configuration ( of the house), construction quality, and funcationality. All of which will play a role in the "price" the market will want/demand for this property. We would need to look into all ofthese to determine value and usablity for your requirements.
Let me know if you need my advice.
Antoine
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 6, 2011
It depends on the house. What are the qualities of the finish; is it high-end? Does the house have charm, a good lay-out, flat usable backyard, etc? And you're right, if the 4th bedroom doesn't have a closet, it's not a bedroom. But then again, what does the public record show? If public record shows 4 bedroom then that's another discussion topic. Lastly, do you like the house? Would you enjoy living there for a long time to come. If you answered yes to most of these questions, I think you answered your own question.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 6, 2011
Value of a home is determined by market value and the condition of the home. Your Realtor will be able to help determine value by running comparables in Crocker Highland. As for inspections, maintain licensed professionals to help you determine conditions. Your Realtor should be able to give you referrals. As for Crocker Higland is a very desirable neighborhood and given the right house on the market it can still be competitive during the offer process. You also want to ask yourself how long is long term for you. 5 years? 10 years? The longer the better! In addition, the tax breaks you will receive as a homeowner. Are you still looking for a Realtor? Give me a call as I would love to speak in greater detail about the buying process and the home value.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 6, 2011
Crocker Highland is much desired -- I have been showing property to a client and we've looked in Piedmont, upper Rockridge, Crocker Highlands.

We keep going back to Crocker Highlands because of the appeal of the neighborhood, the different architectural styles, etc.

Please note that a room doesn't have to have a closet to be considered a bedroom as long as it is not a room through which one must go through to go to another room and that it meets that local building codes.

How big is the house --- how many square feet?
How many bathrooms?
How big is the yard?
Off street parking (garage, driveway?)

Email me and I will send you comps, trends so you can see for yourself.

Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 6, 2011
These are absolutely great comments. Thanks folks. Of course, when I went back to the house, I saw that the room does in fact have a closet -- I simply forgot that I'd seen it and the pictures online don't show it. Sigh...