Home Buying in Blairsville>Question Details

Shawn Howell, Home Buyer in Blairsville, GA

Is a short sale really worth the money you save when you take into consideration all the legalities?

Asked by Shawn Howell, Blairsville, GA Sun Sep 26, 2010

I have heard numerous horror stories about short sales going bad. Association back fees that weren't revealed until after the purchase, intentional damage by the previous owner, and foreclosures that weren't learned about until after the purchase was complete. This has changed the way I am looking at homes. Is there any real advantage to buying a short sale home?

Answers

9
Hi Shawn. If you were my brother, I'd tell you to look for houses that are owned by people that are MOTIVATED and desperate to get o-u-t. There are tons of shorties on the market. I say, "Let 'em rot." If you were my client....I wouldn't let you waste time on a short, I'd take you right for something that is a bona-fide listing and easily conveyable within 30 days.

Prices have come down so much. Appraisers are using short sales in their comps (because they have to!), so you're bound to find lots of listings from real people that want to sell, need to sell. If the banks want to play the 'waiting game' to the tune of 6-14 months, let them play by themselves and with themselves.

GOOD LUCK.

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 26, 2010
I would say that you should find the house you want and deal with the situation - I don't know too many successful buyer's that said - "short sales only". I tell my clients we'll deal with the situationas it comes. That said - I try to avoid shorts because:

1. Most listings agents have no clue how to rep short properties
2. Most owners quickly tire of trying to work things out since they're inundated with nonsense
3. Most banks are combative at every step of the process
4. I'm convinced that banks make more by foreclosing - something has to explain the ridiculous delays and horrible process
5. I'm also a Fannie Mae appraiser - I see many of these homes just before or just after owners get into trouble - about half will be vandalized
6. If owners bail prior to resolution, issues like vandalism and mold can be issues - I'm seeing mold on a regular basis now - and it's everywhere.

Good picks are few and far between because there are so many moving parts on a short; listing agent, owner, lender, lawyers....all have to agree to a settlement. All will want to maximize price, so unless the owner bleeds you won't score.

In my opinion, I rather not deal with any distressed home - but if I have to I'd prefer one that's already foreclosed. Fewer issues and one seller to deal with - usually motivated. You might find this interesting -

http://hankmillerteam.com/category/short-sales/
Hey Shawn,

Awesome Question....and one that has been answered well. If I were to add my two cents, I would say that some are and some aren't. The first thing I would do is Interview the Listing Agent. If they know what they are doing, and have successfully negotiated previous short sales, then I might advise you to move forward. This of course would be based on many circumstances. If they tell you that they have "pre-approval," stay far,far away! I do know of one circumstance where there truly was a "pre-approval" but it had many conditions, and ALL conditions had to be met, no questions asked!

The biggest question I would have for you is simple, "Just how good is your patience?" I have successfully negotiated many Short Sales, for both Buyers and Sellers. My answer would be Yes, there absolutely can be an advantage to buying a short sale. I can honestly say that I have not come across nor heard of any seller damaging their home in a short sale situation.

The biggest thing to take away from this Shawn is this. If it is worth the wait, go for it!
Hi Shawn,

I gave Scott my vote for best answer, and he also sums up my feeling about banks handling of this whole matter. Short sales in my opinion are strictly for unbelievably good deals, and most don't fit that category. Short sales are primarily for investors who can make multiple offers on different properties and can wait just as long as the banks and at the end of the day, if the deal doesn't go through they are unaffected and just move on.

There are tons of good deals with already foreclosed Bank REO properties and even sellers who need to sell and are willing to forgo a lot of their equity. In this market there is no reason to allow a bank hold you hostage for months waiting to see if you will close or not.

Let me know if I can help you - I assist and represent "loan approved" buyer clients looking in your area.

For the maximum information available on any property, check out our comprehensive Wise Buyer Program™ - it provides our clients full market analysis data, proven purchasing strategies, and top buyer representation. In addition, our buyer clients receive up to $5000 worth of free home structural evaluations and major systems analysis so they know what they are buying – Before they ever submit an offer! This gives our clients the advantage of being able to look at any group of properties in any market area and price range, and know with certainty which properties are the best of the best, which properties they should offer less money for, and which properties they would be wise to avoid altogether! Purchase decisions such as which home to buy and the highest price you can safely offer for any property become much clearer once you have all this extra information. Analyzing real estate investments from these multiple perspectives allows us to provide our clients outstanding information, protections, and peace-of-mind - for more information, see the site below.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner - Realtor
Professional Buyers Broker
Relocation Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspection Expert
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
877-787-7167
“Before we help you submit any offer - we will let you know if a property you like is a Great Find, Average Find, or has Serious & Costly Defects We Suggest You Avoid!
Title search, title insurance and a pre closing walkthrough can protect against all your listed fears. The biggest issue is the wait, but if you do wait you can get a great deal usually.

Mark Lackey
Atlanta Housing Source at
Solid Source Realty, Inc.
Associate Broker
EcoBroker
Mark@AtlantaHousingSource.com
404-886-8789

Services
Home Buyers & Sellers - http://www.AtlantaHousingSource.com
Property Management – http://www.SolidSourcePM.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 26, 2010
Hello Shawn,

These types of things should be caught by the title company, and like Marge said below covered by title insurance if they were missed.

Whether or not the bank goes after the seller for certain things such as intentional damage to the home, well, I honestly think you can tell when you are looking at the home and see these damages. Banks typically find out through pictures of some sort, and if you are seeing the ceiling pulled down, or huge holes in walls in random spots, you might want to think twice and/or just walk away. There are plenty of short sales and good deals right now.

If you close on the property and then the bank goes after the owner (this is happening less because of law changes so the seller is more aware at closing) for damages, that shouldn't affect you as the buyer unless you were aware of what was going on with the intentional damage.

All deals are different, and if one seems odd or out of place, just go the next one. In my opinion there are great advantages to buying a short sale home, the biggest being the lower price you can get them for in some areas.
Shawn,

I'm going to refer you to an article and after you read it, I hope it helps to give you a better answer to your question.
Shawn,
It really depends on the property and the deal. I tell my clients who are focused on Short Sales to consider all properties and realize that if we settle on a short sale, they have to be prepared for a long wait with little news. The only reason to buy a short sale and put up with all the frustration involved is when you love the property and you're getting a great deal.
I also advise my buyers to keep their eyes open and consider other properties as they come available. I write my short sale contracts with the ability to withdraw if the buyer elects while the lender is deciding.
There certainly can be. Especially if the bank has approved the price and is just waiting for an offer. HOQ back fees and such should be discovered by the title company and if not, covered by the title insurance policy.