Tee, Home Buyer in 19050

Is a roof problem a deal breaker when purchasing a home?

Asked by Tee, 19050 Mon Nov 21, 2011

I'm in the negotiation process of having the seller fix things and they offered a credit to help with the roof. I had an home inspection and they saw some flashing issues and the two small roofs need to be replaced. I hired a roofer to give a free estimate on the two small ones and the main one. The assistant called and said the roof needs to be tore up and replaced but not down to the wood. Is this something simple to fix or should I walk away now and not sign the ok for the fixes on the negotiation paper? I'm just scared the amount they offered 1k to help with that problem won't be enough.
PS waiting for the contractor himself to contact me with an estimate.

To answer you, nothing is a deal breaker if you truly want the house. Negotiate with the seller.

Up to now, you have made all the right decisions. The roofer's estimate should clear the way for you to make an informed decision on how best to proceed.

It may be time for your RE agent to step up and help negotiate an amount that doesn't leave you "holding the bag." You'll likely hear that as long as the present roof is not presently leaking a replacement is not necessary or that a patch or easy repair will take care of the problem.

Be sure to get a written evaluation from the roofer that speels out the nature of the problem, scope of work needed to correct the problem, cost for the work to be done, and most important of all....their recommendation. It would certainly help your cause by having more than one contractor providing the same recommendation.

Right now the problem belongs to someone else. Make sure that it doesn't become yours.....

You should find out how long ago the roof was redone, whether there are any receipts, and whether any permits were used. The roof inspector should not only be able to tell you what needs repairing, but also the useful life of the roof remaining, or at all!
$1,000 is not enough for a new roof. For example, last spring I had someone replace everything on a pitch roof for one of my rental properties (rowhouse in NE Philly) and the cost was $4,500. Get 3 estimates from 3 different licensed roofers. Get referrals from people.

Take the highest work proposal and ask for this amount as credit from the sellers. By the way, are you working with a real estate agent? They should have recommended this for you.
Hi Tee, a roof is not the end of the world, but $1,000 is certainly not enough. In my marketplace, it can cost anywhere from $5,500 to $10,000 for a new roof. Flashing and smaller rooves are not as bad, obviously. It all depends on your comfort level. I'm guessing it's not an as-is sale, so I would recommend your play hardball and demand the roof be fixed or at least a credit. However, you may be limited as to what kinds and how much of a credit you accept based on your financing.

Why are you not speaking to your agent about this? Also, your mortgage professional should be able to help with the credit limit answers.
Web Reference: http://homefinder360.com
When negotiating repairs for major structural and mechanical components, it is difficult to assess the value of monetary credits (is it enough or too little?) without repair quotes. I'd suggest procuring a few bids to understand scope of work and average out costs. Good Hunting!
Hello Tee
I would recommend getting a few different roofing bids. As far as the roof being a deal breaker, what do you think. If the seller gives you a credit do you feel you are prepared to move forward and get the work done yourself? You can always request that the seller do the work prior to closing. Then you could have an inspector reinspect the repair work. Negotiating repairs can be stressful. I hope that this helps.
Wait for the estimate from this roofer & in the meantime get another independent estimate. Average the 2 estimates together & ask for that credit. Doesn't hurt to ask, the worst they can say is no.
The Marie Souza Team - Top Selling on Cape Cod
Cape Cod Real Estate Services
Phone: 508-790-2000