Home Buying in 07106>Question Details

Tai, Other/Just Looking in Newark, NJ

Is a certificate of occupancy required in Essex County?

Asked by Tai, Newark, NJ Wed Jan 9, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:


Is a certificate of occupancy necessary for renting a space in Bloomfield,NJ?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 10, 2013
Hi Suzette:
A CO is not required in Bloomfield for a rental but a Certificate of Habitability is required from the Fire Department of Bloomfield. They check to make sure smoke & carbon monoxide detectors are properly installed and working.
The form is available through this link:
If you need further help in obtaining an apartment in Bloomfield, I can assist as I do rentals in that area. Good luck.
Sandra Bolcar, Broker Associate 973-744-7722
Flag Sun Feb 10, 2013
Hi Tai:
Each town is different - depends, also, if you are purchasing a single family or multi-family home. What you are really getting on a resale home is a CCO (continued certificate of occupancy) while most of the time a CO is for new construction. At the very least you will need a smoke detector/carbon monoxide compliance certificate (plus a fire extinguisher is now required on this too).
On a multi-family CCO ( 3-families and over) you will also have to check for green card compliance which does not run hand in hand with the town CCO since it is issued by the state and you must check for code violations otherwise you will inherit them upon title. Best to file early for the CCO since larger towns like Newark, etc. are backed up nearly 3-6 weeks and sometimes you have to close with a temporary ("as is" filed by the buyer's attorney) if the home needs issues corrected within a specific time period.
Filing for a CCO can cost anywhere from $75 to $300 depending on the town and some towns require both the buyer and seller be present to sign.
If you need further information regarding this subject, please feel free to contact me.
Sandra Bolcar, Broker Associate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 11, 2008
All towns require some type of CO- either just an inspection of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguisher. Some towns require a more thorough inspection for a CO. Call the town - usually they'll put you through to the building inspector and/or fire chief. Sometimes they will tell you to come in and pick up the packet. I'm assuming from your title "just looking in Newark" you may be a buyer and Newark is known to have their properties listed as the buyer being responsible for CO and not the seller. Newark may also have stricter guidelines for CO then other towns. If you are working with an agent in Newark - they should be able to tell from the listing if it's the seller or buyer's responsibility. Good Luck!
Gina Chircio
(973) 228-1000 ext 132
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 26, 2008
a Certificate of Occupancy is required in everytown in NJ. It's just whether the Certificate of Occupancy means just a Smoke, Carbon and Fire Extinguisher Certificate or if it also requires the town official to come out and check the Habitability of the property. Call the Biulding Department. Also be sure to call Fire Prevention and ask about the Smoke, Carbon and Fire Extinguisher Certificate known sometimes as the C/O too.
Web Reference: http://www.isellroxbury.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2008
Hi Tai,

It depends on the municipality, it varies from town to town.

Web Reference: http://www.marcpaolella.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 9, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer