Home Buying in Jersey City>Question Details

Lpaige, Home Buyer in 10027

Is a Radon Inspection Necessary?

Asked by Lpaige, 10027 Sun Sep 16, 2012

When interviewing home inspectors, I was told that a radon inspection wasn't necessary because my building is only a few years old and that I'll be on the 4th floor. They felt that it would be a waste of money. Is this correct?

Answers

7
Ditto to all those below.. 4th floor? Not really necessary.

But, do your due diligence! Research radon online and your qtuestion will be answered immediately. There is a ton of informaiton out there! Make your own descision.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 18, 2012
Radon does come from the ground and rises up into the atmosphere. While it is possible to have elevated levels on the 4th floor it is HIGHLY unlikely. This is because the radon will have many opportunities to vent out of the structure as it rises. The NJ DEP recommends testing on the lowest living level of any structure.

With all that said, I only charge $50 for the radon inspection when part of a complete home inspection.

Feel free to contact me for more information. I don't make money for referrals, just my inspections.

Rafi Footerman
Mid Jersey Inspections
http://www.MidJerseyInspections.com
732-906-4100
NJ Home Inspector Lic. #076900
Radon is an od0rless gas that is naturally emitted in our area. It comes up from the ground. The greatest hazard is if you are using basement space (even for your washer & dryer or storage) and breathing the radon which has been proven to be carcinogenic.

IF you have no basement, and, as you are on the 4th floor, I would not recommend a radon test. Ask your inspector for more details. You may wish to also call RA Data who performs these tests and will be the most knowledgeable party to help you.
Radon is a gas that is underground and so the fact that you are on the 4th floor will mitigate risks. Because the building is new, there may well be a "passive" system in place in the basement which may further do so.

I would ask the inspector to better explain his response to you so that you can make a decision you are comfortable with.

Good luck with your purchase!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
If it were me, I would not test for Radon on the 4th floor. Radon is heavier than air and comes from the ground. So, it is typically found in the lowest level of a home if it is present. Our inspectors around here charge $125 for a quick results (2 day) radon test. You could definitely do it for peace of mind if you are concerned.
yes No reason to do a Radon test in a building. It probably on cost an extra $50 to get it done.
I would agree with the inspectors - that's my opinion. I have never had anyone do a radon inspection in a highrise building.

However.....

If you're at all doubtful ......then have the inspection......it's only a few hundred dollars (not much for peace of mind) considering how much you're spending on your condo.
I believe you can do it yourself, too......... buy a cannister at Home Depot, and mail it into the lab ....check it out.

Best wishes...........
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012