Paul, Home Buyer in 08824

Is Zip Code 08540 under South Brunswick School System/If yes what elementary Schools, Middle and High Schools?

Asked by Paul, 08824 Fri May 15, 2009

Answers

9
You'll need more info than just the zip code in this case. 08540 is the principal zip code for Princeton, NJ, but the geographical scope of the territory covered by that postal district includes Princeton Boro, Princeton Township, and portions of South Brunswick, Plainsboro, West Windsor, Lawrence, Hopewell, Montgomery, and Franklin Townships -- in all, overlapping 7 different school districts.
If you can provide an address, it would be easy to provide the detailed answers to your questions.
To clarify, 08540 ; a Princeton zip code; is listed for several communities surrounding Princeton but actually in different townships.

For South Brunswick........Princeton Walk & other communities bordering Princeton........a 08540 mailing address is asigned.

For school verification, please call SB school district :-

750 Ridge Rd
Monmouth Jct, NJ 08852-2799
(732) 329-4044

Link :
http://www.sbschools.org
Web Reference: http://www.SoldByshalu.com
Wherever taxes are paid is usually the school district your children will attend. There are several cases in NJ where the School District is SHARED. This is the confusion you are in. The previous responses are correct in that you cannot search based on Zip as in other parts of the country. If schools are the biggest draw for you I suggest the following:
#1 Rank the Schools in the geography you want to live
#2 Get the Ranks of the schools in the state and see where your Top 3 land
#3 Pick an Agent (a full time agent) who knows the area and one you can work well with
#4 Get a School Report which should include the telephone numbers
#5 Call the Schools, set up a tour date
#6 Pick a School, then ... Pick your house
:-) #7 If you don't have an agent... Call me so we can find your house!

Jerel Washington
Keller Williams Realty - Princeton
100 Canal Pointe Blvd, Ste #120
Princeton, NJ 08540
O: 609-987-8889 x234
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
Here is a link to the NJ State school Report Card. It wll tell you all about the schools. It is sorted by county and. Comparing the high schools gives a good snapshot of the schoold sysytem in each area. South Brunswick residents go to South Brunswick schools no amtter what their zip code is.

http://education.state.nj.us/rc/rc08/menu/01.html

I can tell you exactly what school each property will attend if you give me a call at 609 529-6146. I know the area well.

Camille Lee,
Weichert Princeton
08540 is Princeton Township and Boro although the Boro is 08542 as well! The 08540 zip is in parts of 7 other municpalities in 3 counties. You need to look at the township in which the property you are interested in is and therefore the school district is based on that. Like someone else said, Cranbury sends its high schoolers to Princeton, that is a 10 year renewable agreement. You must check with the local school board to determine schools, do not rely on hearsay as things change, eg elementary school catchment areas. Hope this helps!
Paul, when I bought my house in Hopewell Twp the first thing I did was move the mail box about 50 feet away. Suddenly I went from Hopewell to Princeton, as far as the address went. (according to my agent at the time, 25+ years ago, I instantly made $10,000.) Dont look up homes by their postal address. There are many many homes flaunting the Princeton zip (as well as businesses) that arent in Princeton. Princeton junction is actually west windsor. Instead use the school district as a criteria or have your agent do the searches. Be aware though occassionally ,like in Cranbury, schools may be shared. (Cranbury Highschool students currently go to Princeton High though in the past they have attended WEst Windsor and also Lawrence High) When in doubt, call the school districts business office and remember schools also get redistricted from time to time so the elementary school now serving a certain neighborhood could change. (I am an ex school board member of Hopewell Valley Regional Schools) As a life time area resident I am comfortable discussing these matters, feel free to email. (unless you are working with another agent, then have them email me if they're unsure)
Hi Paul,
You appear to be in Kendall Park, from your zip code.
If you go further south on Rt 27 , pass Kingston.....there are both new & established communities with the 08540 zip code ( ie. a Princeton Mailing address) that are actually in South Brunswick , with aattendance at S.Brunswick schools.
Going down a bit further & off River Rd, there are clusters of townhome communities that are also 08540........these have Montgomery as their attendance areas.

And, Bill is right to the extent that school enrollment may affect which particular school your cild may attend ( as do bus routes)........but the school district would remain the same.

So if there is more than 1 elementary or middle or high school .......it IS best to check with the school district .
Paul: Parts of South Brunswick are in the 08540 zip, as are parts of Hopewell, Lawrence and West Windsor Townships. I haven't looked to see if Montgomery and Plainsboro have similar enclaves. The point being that each of the townships have school districts that ARE NOT the Princeton school district. (The Princeton Post Office is a sub regional center and covers much more area than the average small town office.)

As far as what schools go with what area, it's always best to check with the school system. Every year there is the chance for a population shift to change, which block goes where and there are also special programs that might be available, resulting in a different individual school for a kid with different needs and goals. In Moorestown (far to the south) there was a time where the elementary school was a choice of two! Wise parents spent time with the teachers and reviewed the programs to see which they thought would be better for their children.

In my opinion, I'd never let a Realtor describe the school system details (unless they were also teachers there.)
Dear Paul,
The 08540 zip code is basically Princeton Township with some fringe areas in other townships, like Middlesex, South Brunswick, Lawrence and Hopewell, carrying that same zip code. The defining element as to what school district a neighborhood sends to is not the zip code but the actual physical location, i.e township.
If you wish more information please contact me at 609 947 7442.
Pamela Parsons