MD, Renter in Towson, MD

Is White Marsh, MD a good area to live in? Are the public schools in that area good? What are the pros and cons of that area?

Asked by MD, Towson, MD Fri Jan 24, 2014

Any inputs/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi MD,

There are some great answers below!

The answer for you, individually, must be based on what you are looking for! White Marsh encompasses a large area, if you are addressing the area. Places that are considered White Marsh may actually be "Nottingham" or "Perry Hall," so keep that in mind as you are looking. Whether an area fits what you are looking for is a very personal choice. Where will you be working? How far of a commute do you desire? Are nearby highways important?

Schools are also a personal choice. If you look at greatschools.net, you can compare schools and how they did on nationwide tests. Then you can see what might fit your needs.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Thank you!

Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty
The Greater White Marsh area, which includes parts of White Marsh (Zip Code 21162), Perry Hall (21128), Nottingham (21236), and the far eastern parts of Parkville (21234), has been designated by Baltimore County as a growth area. From an infrastructure standpoint, the intent was to concentrate new development into one area so that the best use of roads, and other transportation, schools, hospitals, shopping, and utilities could be used in a smart growth sense.

The Owings Mills area in Northwest Baltimore County was also designated as a growth area.

White Marsh does not have a subway line nor a light rail line, however, in other communities which do have these lines, it has led to more crime. That said, there is a rail commuter station, which is about 5 miles away and which can take you to downtown Baltimore and to DC.

The schools are generally considered to be good, although the high school is designed to have more students, such as in the range of 2,000 students or so. You can use the following link to determine the specific school for any given address along with data about that school:

Because it is relatively recently that this area was designated for growth, most of the homes have been built since the 1970s, and many new homes are still being constructed. There are a variety of styles ranging from condos, and townhouses to detached homes with prices that start at just above $100,000 and go up to about $750,000. Since it is a newer neighborhood, it tends to be slightly more expensive than its neighboring communities of Middle River, Essex, Overlea, Fullerton, and Parkville.

I have lived in the area for the last 15 years and would be glad to discuss it further with you.

White Marsh has some of the most beautiful homes, it has a great mall, schools, restaurants, etc. I don't believe one can go wrong, as the White Marsh, Perry Hall, Nottingham area is diverse in the type of homes one has to choose from.

Everyone I have moved into the area loves it and has nothing but good things to say! I highly recommend it.
I live minutes away in Rosedale and LOVE the area. We're minutes from Downtown Towson and the White Marsh Mall; beltway access, etc. As a Broker I'd be remiss to say what's "good or safe." There are many resources to answer your concerns and I'm happy to share them with you. Feel free to visit my website http://www.salemyhousenow.com for neighborhood info. White Marsh is a featured neighborhood on my site.

Happy House Hunting,
Marlene Rogers, Broker