Home Buying in Stroudsburg>Question Details

Cd, Home Buyer in Georgetown, CA

Is Stroudsburg a good place to raise kids? I poked around and there doesn't seem to be many activites (dance, gymnastic, etc) ??

Asked by Cd, Georgetown, CA Sun Oct 7, 2012

My kids are active in Gymnastics, Ballet, and Fencing. I'm an artist who wants to get my degree (eventually) and we are also musicians...it seems like we should head to NJ or further south, but there is an excellent house in Stroudsburg...any advice?

Answers

7
The Poconos is so incredibly kid friendly and has much to offer families and their children. There is a YMCA in Stroudsburg and the local paper, Pocono Record, Weekend Section is full of activities. I would consult the local Yellow pages for a listing of all the dance and gymnastics offerings that are available, which are a great many! The town of Delaware Water Gap is known for it historical connection to the music industry and I have worked with many artist/musician types who have relocated here to take advantage of the "head room" to create their art/music. There are also various creative groups in the area you can join through Facebook. Just go online and Google some keywords to see what comes up! :0)
There are many activities for children in the Stroudsburg and surrounding areas including International Gymnastics School, Miss Margaret's (dance, gymnastics, acting), Notara School of Dance as well as fencing offered at Northampton Community College campus. Various sports are available via local community leagues. We are located 90 miles from NYC. Please feel free to ask more questions. Good luck in your search.
There is plenty of things for chiildren to do in the Poconos.. I have grandchildren and it is hard to make a date with them. I do not know what other places have to offer.. there are excellent sports programs for every kind of sport imaginable. We have bowling, roller skating, movies, gymnastics, dance, some theater but we are within driving distance of Broadway in NY. Kids can be as involved or as uninvolved with school actiivites as they want to be. We do not have kids hanging on street corners as this is where the troublle starts. I believe it has all to do with the parents keeping the kids involved with little time to get into trouble.
Sandi Meisse, Realtor, Pocono Mts
Dear Cd,
The Pocono Region has a lot to offer. There are many dance companies and great Gymnastics. Fencing is in the schools and one of my daughters took a fencing class at a local college. The Arts are here and you can finish your schooling here as well. The area is known as artsy and I think you should look around a little more. I would be happy to help you look into these things with you.
Best wishes,
Ed :)
Well, Stroudsburg is all about the commute. While it is a great place to live, you may have trouble finding work as a musician here. We are however an hour and a half away from NYC, if you like to commute, you have work. We are also within 2 hours of Philly as well. As a musician, you know that metro areas are your best bet for employment. Allentown and scranton are within 45 minutes away as well. Stroudsburg is almost the center point to all of these places if you look at it that way. If you like to drive, poconos is the place to live and thrive.

http://www.PoconoMountainRE.com
My best advise would be to google the area and perhaps call som dance studios etc and see what information they can share. I would be more than happy to be of assistance in PA or NJ a I am licensed in both states. Don't hesitate to contact me any time.
Truly,
Susan Ferrante
Good morning.
My family lives living here. As far as gymnastics goes we have nation wife known international gymnastics camp & school. http://www.gymschool.com/
As far as persuing music..., there are plenty of laces for that including my husband who is a elementary music teacher graduated from William Patterson. Del water gap is famous for having the best jazz performers in the country living in the area & all preform at a little place called the deer head. Fencing I have no idea. Sorry about that. Dance schools are abundant. We also have the very well know Notara dance & acting school. If you would like more info please feel free to contact me. Have a great evening. Laiana